#104 Lewis - Austin

ANGELINA POV.: Race weekend in Austin at first seemed like always, but then... Since FP2 Mercedes kept struggling on "their own kingdom", while Red Bulls topped the charts, with Checo an contender to Pole position and Max close behind, on 3rd. It made whole team nervous, and sleepless nights followed. It pained me to see, how current situation takes tool on my, often cheeky and happy boyfriend. Lewis was like ticking bomb with timer on, stressed as hell. Angela, Bono, Toto and myself, tried to calm him down even just a bit, but didn't succed much...
He usualy takes everything in himself and beats himself up for failures later. I tried to talk it through with him, but I failed. He said he doesn't want to bother me with his own problems, when I already have mine.
Even Quali wasn't much better, as they qualified P2, and P4, with Verstappen on pole, and Sergio P3. IT's gonna be a real challenge today, as they again, change PU in Valtteri's car, which demotes him to P9. Without his teammate up front, sandwitched between 2 Red Bulls, the race is gonna be hard for him...

....
Right from the morning, you could feel the tension in the air. I tried everything I could to ease his running mind, but not succeded.
After the interviews and drivers parade, it was build up for the race. The tension was high, as Lew aimed confidently for win. He was stressed, but we all knew that he hides it. He always does...
For whole 56 laps, I tightly crossed my fingers, with my gaze glued to the screen, as I sat in the garage with Angela. Whole team was nervous, but we tried to hide it. Everything to help Lew as much as we can...
At some point, Lewis overtook Max, but the win was still uncertain.
-Lewis, we're going for the win- Toto told my boyfriend, happiness evident in his voice.
-I know. Leave it to me, man- he repiled cheekly, and I giggled. That's Lewis I love...
But soon after that, everything went bad, as Max overtook him and took off pretty fast.
-No..!- all the garage said in frustration. And Valtteri wasn't doing particularly good either, so team spirits were low. Lewis was trying to catch up to Max, but it was fairly hard.
-Come on, Baby! You can do it!- I mumbled nervously under my breath. I even turned off my phone before the race, so I could fully focus. My gaze was following Lewis's times, gaps to Red Bulls and all other informations displayed on the screens. My heartrate was crazily high and wasn't able to calm down. I stress that much every race, just like Lewis is stressed out when I race, so the stress is equal.
-He got this! He worked so hard for it!
-I know Angela, I know. But I still have a feeling...
-We'll see Angie, calm down- she replied and we flashed each other a small smiles.
-Let's hope that..- I agreed and sighed. However, the bad feeling was leaving me...

....
And that bad feeling happened, as Lewis finished the race on second place. between Sergio and Max on the top step. Good result, but not as good, as it could've been...
Me and Angela rushed to the garage under the podium, to exchange a few words with Lewis. Concerned expression wasn't leaving my face, and worry consumed my insides.
The second Lewis weightned himself, he entered the garage, to come to us. I didn't say anything, neither did Lewis. He just came to me and hugged me close, placing his forehead on my shoulder.
-Don't beat yourself up for it! Please Lew, you did everything you possibly could today! We knew for certain that Red Bull will be quick here, but we also were, and the gap in the championship is not unchangable!- I told him quietly and Lew only sighed. I know him long enough, to know that he not really wants to talk right now...
We stayed like that for a while and then Lewis let go of me, to take off his balaclava and exchange a few words with Angela, and drink some sips from his bottle. He fist-bumped Max, smiled to Seb above the stack of mechanic's things and turned back to me.
-I need to go now.. Wait for me in the garage?
-You know, I always do- I asurred him and added -It's not your fault. You did everything you could!- I repeted myself, and then we sweetly kissed, but short, as he really needed to go. Me and Angela joined the team to watch the podium with pround smiles on our faces, and then we all parted ways, to get back to our own thing. Lewis, Angela and the rest of the team got back to their work, and I came back to the garage, to watch the interviews from there. From the very begining I could see how good he is in keeping profesional face, even though he feels uneasy inside and hurts. His strenght never fails to amaze me...
After the interviews, team had also an hour and a half long race debrief, which I also attended, for moral support. I just sat there quietly, holding one of Lew's hands in mine, squezzing it assuringly from time to time. They discussed whole weekend, and mostly the race. Changes were needed to be done, if we want to challenge Red Bull in Mexico. No doubt, that it'll be hard...

....
After the debrief, the team packed up and we got back to the hotel and ate dinner. We ate it in hotel's restaurant with whole team and then took the elevator to our floor. We went hand in hand to our room, and locked ourselves in.
-You want to talk about it?- I asked him, as I sat down on the bed next to him.
-Not really...
-Then what you need or want?- I took one of his hands in mine, my gaze not leaving his. He held my gaze for a moment, not saying anything, and then spoke up:
-I want... I could really use a hug now...- he smiled saddly, mirroring my expression.
-Ok- I agreed softly and added -Let's get comfortable first, and then we have a whole night for it- I kissed his cheek.
-Ok- he mimicked me, and then we got over with our night time routine.
After we dressed in our PJ's, we got under the covers. Lewis laid on his back and pressed me close to his chest by my waist, to hug me closely.
-Relax Honey... This weekend is over- I told him quietly, shifting a little, to place a kiss to his compass tattoo. I could easly feel how stiff and tense he is...
-I know...- he sighed and pressed loving kiss to the top of my head, as I traced outlines of his tattooes with my finger.
-No matter what will happen, I'll always be by your side...- I assured him.
-I know my Love. Thank you- Lewis replied and then we sweetly kissed. I know that fight with Max is slowly putting tool on his mental health, but he's strong enough to face it. I know him better than that...
We laid in silence for few more minutes, just drinking in the closure between us, while zooming out, about somethings, and then fell asleep. We really needed a good amount of sleep after this, restless, and sleepless weekend. Austin was far from good in team's eyes, but we'll re-group and come back stronger...!
THE END

Another OS with race-vibe...
Have a nice day! / Goodnight!
F.