Chapter 20 - ROLAND SHOWS HIS TRUE COLOURS

Roland returned to the house in a foul mood and his mood got even fouler when he saw the dog in the house ''GET THAT DAMN THING OUTSIDE NOW'' he bellowed

The three children were making a fuss of Timmy, happy to have him home ''we want him in here with us'' Dick said determined to stand up to Roland

''I'm in charge here now, I'm the man of the house and I say it goes outside now'' Roland said ''and tomorrow it goes to a new home, I don't want it here''

''Oh no please daddy Roland'' Anne complained ''we all love Timmy and we want him here''

''Well you have a choice, either the dog gets rehomed or I'll drown the damn thing, your choice kids''

Dick, Julian, and, for the first time, Anne were all horrified with Roland''I'll take Timmy outside'' Anne said calmly but clearly upset ''I know you didn't mean what you said just now daddy so I'll take him away from you, and give you time to calm down'' Anne left with Timmy for the garden

The others were left alone '' I did mean what I said'' Roland said coldly, either the dog goes or I drown it''

''You won't be drowning Timmy, no way'' Dick said ''I won't let you, and Timmy isn't going anywhere. He is our dog and this is our home and you have no right to do this''          

Roland started to take his belt off'' Dick my boy you're long overdue for a damn good hiding which you will get right now'' But Dick wasn't going to submit to Roland the same way Julian had, he let up and punched him in the face, sending him flying ''You're not laying a hand on me asswipe'' he said ''you're not my father''

Roland jumped up, arms raised ready to fight Dick ''ok boy you want a fight you can have one and I'll knock your block off''

''Yeah come on then dude, let's go. I'm up for a fight'' Dick was fearless and full of adrenaline and rage. They started to circle each other, arms up ready to fight

''No stop it now'' Fanny said intervening at last and pulling Roland away ''I am not going to stand here  and let you two fight like this''

Fanny looked at Dick with a disapproving look ''You need to say sorry for punching your stepfather'' she told him sternly ''and then accept whatever punishment he gives you''

''He is not my stepfather and I will never accept anything from him'' Dick said defiantly ''I won't even stay in this house with him, I will go and stay with grandma and grandad''

''You're going to boarding school actually'' Roland told him, calm as you like ''that was the surprise your mother wanted to tell you, Dick. You're supposed to go next week but after this, I will see about having it moved forwards to tomorrow so we can get you out of our sight''

''Boarding school? Get stuffed I'm not going to sodding boarding school''

''Yes you are'' Fanny told him firmly ''I think it's for the best''

''You mean Roland thinks it's for the best and you just go along with it. You didn't even bother to ask me how I felt about it mum, I am not surprised by Roland but I am surprised by you. You have put Roland before your own family ''

Julian looked smug ''send us a postcard from boarding school eh bro, you only have yourself to blame for this. Maybe if you hadn't been behaving like such a beast you wouldn't be going to boarding school. Rather you than me, I'd hate to go''

''Oh sorry but you're going as well'' Roland said with a cruel smirk ''I want to get rid of both of you''

Julian looked hurt and crushed ''Me too? But why, what did I do to deserve to be banished to boarding school? I thought we were getting on well and I haven't caused any problems for you''