Chapter 1 -GEORGINA BECOMES GEORGE

The girl with the long hair was angry and determined. She was sick and tired of her parents refusing to listen to her. Well, today they would have to listen, she would make them listen. This time she wasn't going to back down.

''I want to cut my hair short!'' she told them, trying to be calm and assertive instead of angry and aggressive, but totally failing

''Do not talk to us in that tone of voice young lady'' her father Quentin yelled at her furiously ''you must remember to show us respect my girl!''

''Well you never show me any respect so why should I show you any'' the petulant girl demanded

''now then'' Quentin continued ''aside from your terrible attitude we've told you so many times that you cannot cut your hair short. You look so pretty with long hair, just like your sister Anne. I just wish you behaved more like her too, all this tomboy nonsense just won't do. I have two sons and two daughters but anyone would think I had three sons and one daughter the way you carry on. It must stop right now, from now on you will be more like your sister Georgina!''

''I will not be anything like her, I hate her and you know it. And how dare you call me Georgina, my name is George I told you this enough times and you never listen''

''If you talk to me like this again you'll feel the leather of my belt girl, now get out of my sight and go to your room!''

George stormed out of the room, almost in tears but holding it back and refusing to cry in front of anyone. She knew that boys like her brothers Julian and Dick would never cry. It was only weakling girls like her wretched sister Anne who cried. George, or Georgina as her parents insisted on calling her, was 14. Her brother Julian was one year older than she was at 15 and her brother dick was one year younger at 13. Her baby sister Anne was a few years younger than Dick at age 11. George hated being a girl and hated her long hair. She wanted to be a boy, damn it, she was going to have a sex change one day and be a man! She didn't care what anyone said, one day she would do it and if her parents and others didn't like it then they could go to hell. She was going to have her hair cut short too. She didn't care if they denied her permission, she was 14, not 4. She could do what she wanted to do, who are they or anyone else to tell her what she can and can't do? She hated her revolting long hair, just like her sister's revolting hair. She wanted short hair and she wanted to be a boy like her brothers, not a silly girl. She had nothing against girls but she just didn't want to be one. Leave the girly stuff to Anne, she was so good at it.

The following day after school George marched into a barbershop in her school uniform, head held high and totally cocky and unafraid. The barber and the other male customers looked at her as she came in

 ''I'm here to get a haircut'' she said ''I want my hair cut very short in a boy's style!''

''Well I'm sorry girl but this is a barbershop'' the barber told her, rolling his eyes with annoyance as he said it'' you can't get a haircut here, we only cut the hair for men and boys here''

''Listen I want a proper male haircut don't I and I'll only get that at a barbershop'' She explained ''if I go to unisex or female hairdressers they will do some silly girly haircut or something in between. I don't want that, I want a complete 100% boys haircut. Please I beg you, I want a boy's haircut because I want to be a boy and I am going to be a boy I hate being a girl. Please help me and give me a boy's haircut, don't send me away please'' George then took her money from her bag to show the barber ''And my money is as good as anyone else's. You run a business to make money and I am one of your customers it really is as simple as that''

Everyone in the barber's shop looked at George in stunned surprise but no one laughed or mocked her. They could see how angry and determined she was. If it had been a boy saying he wanted to be a girl he would have been bullied horribly but a girl wanting to be a boy was not judged as harshly