Chapter Five A New Face

In the initial couple of weeks Xander and I found out many things. The first being that we were both very keen on sticking together. The others were almost as good of news, one being that the humans or mundanes as we called them are in the golden years of one of the greatest empires ever created. Roman legions were a common site going through a little town to our north, away from the ocean and into a country called Italia. The very same country that had Gods' son killed not to long ago.

After the original adrenaline and excitement wore off the crushing weight of the situation set it. Xander and I were alone on Earth, no other Angelic presences were on Earth. All of the fallen before Xander and myself had succumbed to the darkness and become Princes and Knights of Hell.

It's been a hundred years since I was cast out and cursed. We have a little log cabin in the slightly larger clearing that I found, Xander has one half and I have the other. Our cabin, or The Hut as Xander like to call it, is split into three parts. Two identical bedrooms with a closet, wash table, and bath; on either side of a kitchen area that is separated from the bedrooms by open breeze ways on either side; while the whole structure was situated over a basement that was used to store food and equipment. This breezeway design was built to protect us from a fire in our kitchen, which unfortunately we learned the hard way. That is where I currently am, in the kitchen looking for any leftover meat I could create a meal out of. Unfortunately, it seams as if we are all out.

"Hey Xander!" I yell out to my left, which is the direction of his room.

"What is it Vlad?" Comes the reply.

"Feel like going hunting? We are all out of food." I say as he makes his way into the kitchen, reaching the point beside me by the time I finished.

"Together? It's been so long since we hunted together. I normally do it alone now, every since the accident..." He says almost hopefully.

"I would Xander, you know that brother. I can't today tho, we need firewood. I'll go with you next time, I swear." In truth we did need firewood, however I still didn't feel comfortable hunting with him again so soon. I know what happened was an accident, however I just can't quite get over it.

The last time Xander and I were hunting he hurled a spear at a doe. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't paying attention and was hit in the side with said spear whilst running at the doe to kill it with my dagger. Normally it wouldn't matter to me, since I would heal. Any other person doing it and I would have healed, however Xander and I being Fallen we are the only ones able to kill the other. Natural accidents we just heal, even getting stabbed by Mundanes we still heal at an incredible speed. It's only when the wound is inflicted by another Fallen are we injured normally, or what is normal for humans. I almost died when I was hit with that spear, and if not for Xander's magic, I probably would have.

"You don't trust me anymore do you?" Xander says, interrupting my thoughts.

"Of course I trust you brother, we just need firewood. I promise I'll go next time." I say as I head down to the basement to get the axe.

"Alright, next time." Xander says a little dejectedly as he walks to his room to get his weapons.

O0o~•~o0O

Walking through the woods I head north. I'm looking for a good sized tree that we can use to keep warm for a few days. Maybe a twenty or so feet tall hardwood, a nice good cooking log. Since I am only going to be gone for an hour or so I didn't see a reason to strap any weapons on other than the axe, and since I started getting wood I always let my wings out to their twenty-five foot wingspan. Every since Xander found that Mundane village he has been adamant about keeping our wings hidden unless at home or hunting, but what he doesn't know won't hurt him right?