15. Turned The Table

Blood trickled from the cut and I got nauseous. I didn't know if it was from the cut, or from what I had done. I lied down on the floor and heard static. Everything became a little darker but I still saw Rafe run into the kitchen like a maniac.

"How could you!" He screamed in shock. He stopped and looked at my lifeless body. "Alice!" He screeched. He frantically searched for his phone then called an ambulance. He talked in sobs and had to repeat himself multiple times. He hung up and looked at me in utter fear. "Please be okay!" He sobbed and put his hand over my cut.

"Get away from me." I whispered weakly. I could see the pain in his eyes, yet he didn't budge. He instead came even closer and hugged me tight. I hated myself because I knew I still enjoyed it. I still loved him.

"Please stay." He muttered under his breath. "God, please!" He yelped. Everything got darker and darker. "Alice!" His voice started getting lower and lower until I couldn't hear him. "Ali-" I couldn't see him anymore. It was dead silent and I saw nothing. I wonder if that's what death is like. I thought I'd feel at peace, but I didn't. It felt like I betrayed my parents and sister. I also knew I'd miss Rafe more than anything. He was the only one here for me. He changed for me. He loved me.

Suddenly I saw a white ceiling. I felt something on my hand and looked to see a hand on mine. I didn't have to look to know it was Rafe. I weakly squeezed his hand and felt him jolt in shock as he flashed his head at me.

"Alice!" He yelled and got down on his knees to get his face next to mine. His eyes were bloodshot and puffy. I looked around and saw that I was on a hospital bed with a needle in my arm.

"Rafe." I mumbled.

"Don't say anything! I'm sorry Alice! Please just don't do it again! I'll do anything, I swear!" He cried.

"Alright. I won't." I weakly said with a small smile. He looked at me with the most sorrowful eyes in the world and It broke my heart. It made me feel sick to my stomach. I did this. He shouldn't have lied, but I still took it too far. "Rafe." I muttered.

"Ye-eah?" His voice broke and he bit his lip. I looked into his beautiful pained eyes.

"I love you." I said. His eyes widened and his breathing became inaudible. He went silent. Then, without warning, he let out a shattering scream.

"Rafe!" I yelled before a nurse rushed in.

"Is everything okay!" She asked in worry.

"Y-yes. W-we're fine." I stuttered. She looked at us in disbelief then left while muttering something under her breath. Rafe was hyperventilating and crying the hardest I've ever seen. "Rafe calm down. I'm okay." I said.

"I-I almost lost you Alice!" He yelled while wiping his streaming tears.

"But I'm here now." I tried calming him down. "I'm here with you Rafe." I said.

"Please don't do that again! I beg you!" He pleaded in tears. I nodded with a small smile and he started calming down. "So I stop and you start?" He sadly chuckled. I smacked his head and he looked up at me with a broken smile. I really hurt him.

"Rafe, I didn't mean what I said." I admitted. "I was just shocked, but you shouldn't have hidden something like that from me." I pointed out.

"I swear I won't hide anything again." He told me and put his hand on my cheek.

"I didn't mean what I said though." I repeated.

"Alice, at this point I don't even know how you stand me. I'm messed up Alice. If you love me, you're messed up yourself." He rubbed his thumb against my cheek. I brought my hand up to his face and wiped his tears.

"Then I guess I'm messed up." I said before he leaned in and kissed me gently. We smiled like idiots with tears in our eyes. He left my hand and walked over to the couch in the room and plopped down.

"They said you can leave tomorrow." He told me and got comfy on the couch.

"Dang, I've been missing school a lot." I muttered. He looked at me in exaggerated shock.

"We're missing school." He emphasized.

"But you'll fall behind!" I protested. He raised his eyebrows, reminding me that no teenager in his right mind would miss an opportunity to skip school. I sighed. I then felt myself become weaker by the second.

"I'm so tired." I grunted and felt my eyelids become heavy. He got up and walked to me. He leaned down and softly kissed my head.

"Go to sleep. I'll be right here." He whispered and sat down on my bed. He stroked my hair then I closed my eyes. I went to sleep with the sweet feeling of Rafe playing with my hair. When I woke up, Rafe was in the room eating a sandwich.

"Good morning." I giggled. He almost chocked on his food.

"M-morning." He managed to say with his mouth full. "Hungry?" He asked and swallowed.

"Very!" I blurted out. He laughed and got up.

"Take this, I'll go get more." He said and awkwardly gave me his sandwich. He ruffled my hair as I childishly smiled and took it from his hand. The needles in my arms weren't connected anymore and I took this opportunity to change into my clothes. I got up, changed out of the hospital gown, and took the clothes off of the couch. I got dressed, and then ate the chicken sandwich. A few minutes later, Rafe walked in and eyed me.

"Well, someone's eager to leave." He laughed out loud with two sandwiches in his hand. He came over and gave me yet another one.

"I can't eat all that!" I looked at him in shock.

"You will." He scolded me. I playfully glared at him and Took the last bite of the first sandwich he gave me. I then stood up off the bed.

"Come on, I just want to go home!" I whined. He sighed and gave me his other sandwich. A little confused, I still took it. I was suddenly swooped up into his arms. "What are you doing!" I yelled and held on tight.

"You sure as hell aren't walking." He said and carried me out the room.