13. The Truth

"Mason!" Rafe roared in rage. I stared at the article. Everyone now knew, and there's no telling what comes next and how Rafe might feel about this.

"Yes, Rafe?" Mason asked with a smirk. Rafe was fuming and he was unpredictable at times like this. His hands formed fists and I ran at him to hold him back from doing something stupid.

"You son of a-" Rafe started.

"It was a team effort. Why not ask your little girlfriend over here?" Mason interrupted him. What. I gawked at Mason-- at how nonchalantly he could lie about me. Rafe stopped in shock. He looked at me.

I saw a look of devastation before he started breathing unevenly. Without warning, I heard his high pitched signature scream making my ears hurt. He raised his arm at me but immediately pulled it back. He gave me a most broken look before running off through the crowd. People backed away and looked frightened at what they just witnessed.

"W-why would you say that!" I turned around and yelled at Mason. He frowned and left without answering. I immediately ran out of school and back to the mansion. When I arrived I was panting and drenched in sweat. I ran upstairs to his room and Winston looked horrified downstairs.

"Rafe please let me in!" I yelled and banged on his door.

"Go away or I swear I'll kill you!" He screamed at the top of his lungs.

"I would never do that Rafe! How could you think that!" I yelled from behind the locked door.

"Revenge! I knew it was crazy to think you were true!" He yelled. At this point I felt helpless. I broke down in sobs behind the door and cried like a distressed child.

"I swear that isn't true! I meant everything I said!" I sobbed out. "Please just open the door!" I begged. I suddenly heard Rafe let out a wailing scream and something fell in his room with a thump, and after it came the sound of breaking glass. Rafe stomped over to the door and opened it to see me sobbing in the hallway.

"What better way to break me than make me love you and then break me more broken than I already am." He slurred in pain and tears.

"I swear I love you! I swear that's not true!" I frantically yelled and threw my arms around him. I hugged him tightly as I cried. He softened and hugged me back. "Please trust me from now on." I murmured in his chest. He just hugged me tighter and tucked my hair behind my ear.

"Loving me is your most stupid mistake Alice." He cried in my ear.

"I don't care. To me it isn't a mistake." My voice cracked a little as tears still streamed down my face. He sighed and pulled back. He took my hand and led me to his bed. His nightstand was knocked down and his lamp broken on the floor.

We sat down next to each other awkwardly, and I still couldn't stop crying. I realized now that I loved Rafe a lot more than I thought. I looked down in embarrassment at how childish I felt. I just couldn't stop crying. I took a deep breath to try and calm down. I inhaled slowly without trying to look weird and then quietly started huffing the air out. I suddenly felt a small quick kiss on my cheek. Startled, I whipped my head to look at Rafe. He was looking at the wall with his face a little red. With nothing to lose, I repaid the favor and returned the kiss. He let out a small chuckle and we both just laughed at our awkwardness.

"Rat." He muttered with a smile. I smacked his arm and looked at him with my jaw open.

"That was rude." I said with a fake frown. He then gave me a small sad smile. Right, today wasn't a great day.

I sighed. "Hey you okay?" I softly asked.

"I'll kill Mason tomorrow!" He yelled, getting angry again.

"What happened between you guys?" I asked and held his hand. He let out a huff and intertwined our fingers.

"H-his parents died and his father was my dad's best friend." He explained.

"Yeah?" I said a little surprised. He nodded and looked down.

"When Mason's parents died in an accident during a business trip, my father took Mason in. He treated him as his own child. We were both seven at the time, but dad gave Mason all the love and attention because his best friend deserved that much." He said with a grimace. He started getting louder. "He treated Mason like his son and threw me to the side." He leaned back on his elbows with a scowl. I couldn't believe what I was hearing and sat up to focus more. "Dad would lay his hands on all of us except Mason. I think the only reason he didn't kill me was because Mason begged him to leave me alone." He remembered sorrowfully.

His eyes teared up. I just couldn't believe this. He used to live with Mason?

"Mason was like a brother to me up until the accident. He felt like I killed his dad and that way he lost two fathers." He darkly chuckled. I put my hand on his shoulder, noticing the change of his mental state. He slowed his breathing and recollected himself. "Mom couldn't care less about me or Mason, she just loved Nora. Mom didn't feel safe having Nora around Mason and moved out. She also couldn't stand dad being physical. I decided to stay behind with Mason and dad because Mason was my best friend and dad still didn't get that bad with the abuse." He said with an ironic sinister smile. "She didn't give it a second thought and left me." He said with a straight face.

"Rafe." I said and rubbed his back.

"Mason joined gangs and got into trouble all around town. It was my fault." He guiltily said. "He has every right to hate me!" He yelled out and punched the wall.

"Rafe it wasn't your fault. Calm down." I shushed him and caressed his hair.

"I still view him as my brother Alice. I miss him, Nora, mom, and even dad. They're all gone." He looked up at me with pained eyes. I took him into my arms and he let it all out.