12. Mine

It was a bit of a tense silent ride until we arrived.

"I'll be nearby." He said before putting his keys in his pockets and walking in before me. I waited a few seconds then walked in to see my aunt and her husband at a table. They had huge smiles as I approached them.

"Sweetie! You look stunning!" Aunt Lauren hugged me sweetly. Her husband, John, shook my hand and gave me a polite smile.

"I'm happy to see you're doing well darling." He said.

"I missed you guys." I said before sitting down. I looked behind aunt Lauren as she was fixing her cute red dress and saw Rafe drinking wine and smirking at me. Flustered, I looked down.

"So honey, tell me any special man!" She asked me excitedly. She was in her 30s and was as lively as ever.

"U-um no, not really." I answered.

"Lay off Lauren, let the girl live in peace." John nudged her and she laughed. "I ordered you a seafood pasta, is that okay?" He asked me.

"Yes, thank you." I giggled. They were a fun couple. I was beyond grateful for how well they took care of me. They gave me monthly allowance, checked up on me, and took me out to nights like this. I know my aunt feels like I'm a responsibility her sister left behind for her, but that doesn't make me any less grateful. The food came and we chit chatted as we ate and John paid for everything. I thanked him and assured them I had a ride home and not to worry about me. They insisted to wait until I left first but I managed to convince them I was meeting friends here and we were going somewhere together. They finally left and I walked over to Rafe looking stunning. A girl was next to him trying her best attempt at flirting, but Rafe was being downright rude. He looked at me and kept the same scowl.

"So how about we meet sometime?" The girl next to him squeakily asked. He didn't answer.

"Umm excuse me?" I came up to her.

"Yes?" She bluntly replied.

"Is there something you need?" I asked her and stood next to Rafe, who still had a scowl. Weird.

"What's it to you?" She annoyedly blurted.

"Yes. What's it to you." Rafe suddenly muttered and glared at me.

"See." The girl smirked.

"Rafe?" I asked and looked up at his angry expression. He took a deep breath.

"Am I that much of an embarrassment!" He yelled in front of everyone. I looked around me in shock as everybody watched. "Don't come home!" He screamed. Without a second thought, he turned around and left.

"Bitch." The girl muttered and left. I teared up in embarrassment and pain. With my hands in fists, I quickly walked out as everyone stared at me. I didn't see Rafe's car. This had to be a sick joke. My dress was very revealing and My high heels tip tapped on the concrete of the side walk. I wrapped my arms around myself and didn't have any idea where I was going.

"Hey pretty mama!" A scratchy voice yelled before I felt a hand on my arm. I screamed.

"Can't leave you alone for two seconds before you're in trouble." Rafe muttered as he held my arm. I let my tears fall as he harshly led me to the car. He didn't do anything, but his attitude was aggressive. I calmed down on the ride home and stopped myself from crying. We arrived and he slammed his car door before entering the mansion. Winston stood in the door way concerned. I walked slowly to him and just shrugged before going upstairs to my room. I changed into pajamas and washed my face. I sighed and went to lie down in bed. Did I hurt him when they asked if there's someone in my life?

There was only one thing to do if so. Reluctantly, I got up and opened my door, thenwalked over to his room. I knocked.

"Rafe?" I called. There was no answer. "I'm coming in!" I yelled before opening his door. The room was dark and he was in his bed under the covers. "Rafe?" I came closer and slowly lifted the covers. Rafe was silently sobbing and crying. "Rafe! What's wrong!" I yelled in panic. His nose was red, eyes puffy, and face wet from tears.

"Am I that much of an embarrassment?" He choked.

"You know that's not true!" I yelled at him.

"Then why did you tell them there isn't anyone?" He asked in spite.

"Because I don't know what this is Rafe." I stated gently. He looked up at me with his big sad eyes. I couldn't help it and lied down next to him and hugged him tight. "Can I tell you something?" I asked him.

"What?" He spouted out in a sob.

"I love you." I uttered out. The sobs stopped, his heaving chest went steady, and everything went silent.

"W-what?" He asked in shock.

He started to sit up.

"I said I love you." I repeated and looked him right in the eyes. Suddenly, he started sobbing even harder.

He pulled me into his arms. Hot tears stained my shirt and he gripped me so tight I couldn't breathe, but I still didn't want to move.

"Why?" He whispered in my ear as he cried. I just laughed and ruffled his hair. He pulled back and looked deep in my eyes. We slowly leaned towards one another and our lips finally met. We shared our first sweet kiss before he said "I love you too."

"So what exactly are we?" I asked.

"You're mine one way or the other. Will you be my girlfriend I guess?" He chuckled. I nodded and he gladly tackled me down and pampered me with kisses. We slowly fell asleep together and woke up a tangled hugging mess.

We woke up the next day and rushed to school. Mason and Monica were still together and Mason still looked as annoyed as ever. As Rafe and I arrived early and stayed in the empty classroom as usual, Mason walked in. Rafe became tense as soon as he entered. I nudged Rafe and caught his attention again.

"H-hey, you never told me what happened between you guys." I pointed out.

"Home." He muttered.

Classes went by and Rafe and I went to get some lunch. We walked into the lunch room and walked up towards the line. I suddenly felt his hand sneak into mine and I didn't know how to react so I looked the other way.

"Shy, rat?" He teased. I looked up at him with an open jaw that he still called me that. He laughed and it was a little high pitched, but not like before. It was a mix between his manic and melodic laugh. I smiled at how much he has changed already.

"Psycho!" I heard Monica yell from afar. We all turned to face her.

"How could they let him in?" I heard someone whisper. What was going on? A crowd was forming in the hallway and people would suddenly look at me and Rafe, then back at the wall. Rafe and I looked at each other in worry.

"You may want to check that out." Mason said from behind us. Rafe glared at him before stomping over to the crowd. He was still holding my hand and I stumbled along with him to the hallway. I then saw it. The article. Countless pictures of it were stuck on the walls.