4. Explain

When I was done, I put the blade back on his desk and sat down. He put it in his pocket and looked down at the floor with an unreadable expression.

  I went over and took his pile of papers and put them on my desk. I couldn't imagine how bad his arm must've hurt. My hand hurt yes, but it must be nothing compared to him. Being the idiot I am, I corrected all the papers alone. He sat by me and gave me a few glances every now and then. When I was done, I put my head down on the desk and closed my eyes. The fatigue took over me. I needed water and food as quickly as possible. The clock ticked and Rafe stayed by me unmoving. I then felt his stare, but I couldn't find the energy to move and kept my head on the desk. Finally, the teacher came in and I handed in the papers. We were free to leave and went our separate ways.

  I walked home with my throat burning and stomach growling. The sun had set and I took a deep breath of the cool night's air. I had nothing in mind but having some nice cold water. I dragged my legs as I walked home.

  I was a little intimidated at walking home at night. There was nobody around, not even passing cars.

I  then heard footsteps echo mine. I looked behind me and saw two men. I sped up to find a more crowded street. I kept walking straight and clutched my bag. I walked by a corner and looked back again. They weren't there. Minutes passed and I didn't see them again. I then went on my merry way home from a different route than I usually take. At least I was safe.

  "Hey school girl!" A man's voice called. I halted. Terrified, I looked back. It was the same two men. They were coming closer and closer. I was still tired and had no energy to run. The two men sped at me and caught up.

  "Let's have some fun!" One man laughed and snaked his hand around my waist. I had an aching headache, my throat burned, and my legs felt heavy. The other man wrapped his hand around my arm and I still couldn't find the energy to fight back.

  "Let go." I demanded weakly and struggled to no avail.

  "No can't do." One of them said with a smirk, eyeing me up and down.

  "I-I'll give you money." I desperately offered as I struggled.

  "Sorry doll, but that isn't what we're looking for." He said. I started panicking and tears formed in my eyes.

  "Please just let me go!" I pleaded hoarsely. Hysterical, I looked around me. I saw a third shadow emerge from behind the men and I tried blinking away the tears.

  "Let go." The third person ordered.

  "Sorry little guy, but you can't have fun with us." The man said with a laugh. I heard another laugh after that. It was a maniacal high pitched laugh that I would never forget.

It was Rafe.

  His laugh echoed through the night. I could finally see clearly and the two men looked at each other, confused, yet didn't let go of me. Rafe had a wide smile on his face and put his hands in his pockets. He was then holding something in each hand.

Two pocket knives.

Both men let go upon seeing that and looked at each other. Rafe bent down, readying himself to attack. Both men realized that this was no joke and slowly stepped back. They both slowly stepped back and quietly retreated out of sight.

  I stood there, still in panic. Rafe put the knives back in his pocket and walked towards me. He stared at me as I hyperventilated. I dropped down on my knees with my hand on my chest. I tried to catch my breath and he stood there silently, just watching me.

After a few minutes, I finally calmed down.

  "T-thank you." I murmured.

  "Don't get the wrong idea. I just don't like people playing with my toys." He replied in all seriousness. With that, he walked past me and left. I got up off my knees and hurried home.

I slammed the front door behind me and used my last bit of energy to run to the fridge. Finally some water! I took a bottle and chugged the life out of it. I let out a long breath upon finishing it and threw it away. I prepared some frozen pizza and had some cheese puffs.  After eating, I went upstairs, changed, and toppled onto my bed. My sweet sweet comfy bed. I hugged my pillow and rubbed against my bed sheets. I finally fell into a deep blissful sleep. Or, it was.

  I saw Rafe's face. It had blood splattered all over it. He looked down at his bloody hands and his arm was patterned with cuts.

  "Please." He pleaded through teary eyes. His eyes burned into me as they held a heavy sorrowful tint.

He then screeched "Please!"

I saw him break down in sobs. He held his head in a state of madness and screamed.

  "Rafe!" I yelled as I jolted awake. I looked up and saw him standing there. "Rafe!" I yelled again in shock. "What the hell!" I screamed. He stood at the end of my room and toyed with the hem of his jacket.

  "You should fix your window." He whispered.

  "Get out." I sternly said. I sat up and struggled to turn on the lamp on my nightstand.

  "Fine, but first you owe me an explanation." He whispered. I then turned the lamp on. I got out of bed and stood up, wrapping my arms around me. He raised his sleeve and pointed at his bandaged arm. "What were you thinking?" He asked.

  "I just didn't want something bad to happen." I mumbled with a shrug and looked down.

He just stood there, looking unsatisfied.

  "Look here rat!" He yelled and stomped over to me. I stepped back and hit the wall. "If you think you'll try and get on my 'good side', think again!" He hissed with his face right in front of mine, then slammed his fist against the wall.

  "Can't you just say thank you and leave it at that!" I yelled and shoved him away. Infuriated, he knocked down my dresser with a thump. I stared in shock as he stood there enraged.

  "Don't try me rat!" He warned. He went and jumped out the window. I ran to check on him but he landed like it was nothing. I took a deep breath and stood there recollecting myself. After a while, I washed my face before lying in bed again. Of course, I couldn't sleep. Thoughts flooded my mind and I decided to do something. I got my phone and opened google.

  "Kent Raphael" I searched.

To my surprise, many articles popped up, so I clicked on the first one.

  "Kent Raphael, 14, kills his father the successful CEO Mr. Hudson Raphael."

  My eyes widened at the headline.

  "Mr. Hudson was discovered to have been abusive and tortured his son, Kent, to the brink of death. He was also discover to be an alcoholic, drug addict, and worked on numerous illegal transactions such as: human trafficking, illegal drug trade deals, and illegal trade and possession of weapons. His wife had left him three years prior to the incident and took their daughter Nora with her, leaving Kent behind with his father. On April 4th, 2018, it was reported that Kent killed his father in self defense.

  The latter had been killed by being repeatedly stabbed with a broken beer bottle in the stomach. Kent Raphael was found innocent by the public, however his mental state is questionable. He has been viewed as violent, aggressive, and short tempered. To this day, Kent lives in his father's house with his share of the inheritance. Nora, his sister, has stated in interviews that her and her mother have cut all ties with Kent and do not wish to speak further on the matter.

Published April 28th 2018."