83| Ai No Shiro

~Myah~

~Myah~

"Finally," 

I sigh aloud as I escaped both my security escort and the sensory nightmare that was Ai No Shiro into the small gardens on the outskirt of the festival surrounding the memorial fountain. We had been going to the island-wide event since we were a year old but with every year that passed the festival had become an intolerable cacophony of lights and sound that left me with an unsettling feeling. 

The water dripping down the fountain's middle-tier rim licks my fingertips as I balance myself once again. Closing my eyes to focus on the water's movements and rippling, but the water itself is not alive therefore I can't bond myself to it. But there is something living close by. 

A soft whimper proves me correct as I look over my shoulder to find an incredibly small shifter fox pup, whimpering as he hobbles to the fountain. He doesn't notice me until he takes goes to take his first sip but he's too short. His tiny paws slipping on the fountain's metal surface as he falls over at my feet. 

He freezes when his brown furry head tilts upwards and sees me, I can almost feel his heart skip a beat. Within a few seconds, he's up on his feet again, scampering over to the bushes to hide from me, shivering with fear. 

"I'm not going to hurt you pup, come close and I will help you up," I promise as I crouch down and the small pup sticks his head out from the bushes, blinking a few times before very cautiously approaching. 

When he does, I pick him up and settle him down on the edge, watching him take a few sips as he leans in. But his rather large adorable head makes him lose his balance and he nearly falls in until I reach out and hold him back. 

"Hey, it's okay," I reassure him as I scratch his head a bit and he sneezes. But his powerful little sneeze throws him back into the water before I can catch him again and he gasps for air in his human form as he quickly shifts. 

Flailing about the two feet of water like he's drowning until I simply lift him up by his sides and he finally pauses. He's about the same height as my little brother CJ with his long wet brown hair covering his face as he gasps in his now drenched festival attire. 

Thankfully the night is warm so he won't freeze to death although he's shaking like he might. He pushes his hair back and looks at me with the lightest brown eyes I've ever seen, the stars themselves captured in their reflection once he finishes coughing. I put him back down on the edge of the fountain and wipe my wet hands on my trousers while he settles down. 

"Are you alright?" I ask him and he nods with a sad look about him. 

"I'm glad, that must have been pretty scary for you huh?" I ask and he nods again still wet and sad. 

"Do you want to see a magic trick?" I ask and he nods, a small smile finally breaks and I sit down beside him. 

"Close your eyes," I whisper and he smacks his hands to his face so hard it makes me wince slightly as I hold my left hand out and form a new red rose from my hand without thorns so he doesn't prick himself.