Chapter 58: Dual Blades

"Well, well, well. If it is not the great Karikala Cholan sitting before us!"

Everyone looked up. Valavan grinned. "My secret is out, huh?"

Vikraman scoffed, plopping down Chezhiyan's bed. Uttaman, who was standing near the door, smiled. "Secret? Pfft! The whole of Urayur is buzzing with this news!"

Chezhiyan's eyebrows rose. He glanced at Valavan, who merely shrugged in return. Chezhiyan huffed and faced Uttaman, his eyes questioning. Uttaman clarified. "Apparently, in the Indra Vizha, the Prince had called himself that. Everyone addresses him as Karikala Cholan now. We heard it everywhere."

Ilanchezhiyan was astonished. "Why have I never heard of this before?" He nodded once decisively. "We need a spy there." He met Valavan's eyes, who nodded. They knew the perfect person for the job.

Chembian.

"Who is it going to be?", Vikraman asked. 

Chezhiyan shook his head. "You wouldn't know him." He turned his attention back to Valavan. "Karikala Cholan?"

Valavan shrugged again. Alli chuckled. "When we were in Nangur-"

"Hold on!", Vikraman cried out. "You were in Nangur? But, you said- " He shot Chezhiyan a betrayed look. He didn't meet his eyes.

Valavan waved him off. "Inconsequential. The point is, I overheard two guards calling me Karikalan, to make fun of my legs, that is." Vikraman winced. 

Chezhiyan's eyes became cold. "Where are they now?"

"Heaven knows." Valavan shot Alli a pointed look. "Or, maybe she would. She has everything to do with their disappearance."

"I only fired them!", protested Alli. "Stop making it sound like I had killed them!!"

Valavan shot her a sideways look. "But, you considered it."

Alli shrugged. "Maybe I did, for a second. But, you are still missing the point! I told him that Karikalan also means 'One Who Slays Elephants'." She spread her arms. "So, here we are."

"Here we are", Valavan echoed.

Just then Parthiban entered the chamber. He looked around. "Oh, you are having a meeting? What did I miss?"

Vikraman gave him an exaggerated look of shock. "You will never believe this. The Prince had been in Nangur all this while!"

Parthiban seemed unfazed by it. "Oh."

"Oh? Oh?" Vikraman sucked in a sharp breath. "You knew? Yet, you didn't tell me?" He looked around the room. "I don't know you all anymore!"

Parthiban gave him an apologetic look. "It was not my place to tell, Vikrama. It was his secret."

Vikraman looked at him warily. "But, how did you know?"

Parthiban wore a blank look. "From a trusted source."

Alli bit back a curse. Vasuki.

Vikraman made a disgusted noise. "I cannot believe that you all didn't think of telling me!" He shook his head. "Fine. I get it. You don't trust me enough."

Valavan exhaled. "You know it is not that. We hadn't told anyone about it. How Parthiban knew is beyond me." He pouted. "Do you think I don't trust you? I'm your pillow, for God's sake!"

Vikraman shook his finger at him. "Stop trying to be adorable and change the subject. Don't forget that you also wronged me!"

Valavan looked at him, startled. "Wait, what?"