Chapter 59: The Temple

Poovazhagi peeked into Alli's chamber. "Ready?"

Alli nodded without turning away from the mirror. "In a minute."

Poovazhagi walked in and sat down on her bed. "Make it fast."

Alli didn't reply, focused on wearing her earrings. Poovazhagi sighed. Realizing that it was going to take a while more, she made herself comfortable. As she looked around listlessly, a bag on top of Alli's shelf caught her eye.

She stood up and walked over to the shelf, reaching up to bring it down. She jiggled it. "What's in this bag?"

Busy perfecting the red mark she kept on her forehead, Alli didn't pay attention. "Hmm?"

Rolling her eyes, she opened the bag to see its contents herself. When she saw what was in it, her lips spread into a wide grin. "You might want to see what I've just found, Alli."

Exasperated, Alli turned around. "Will you let me dress in peace for one- Oh!"

She saw what was in Poovazhagi's hand and shut her eyes. Feigning to do nothing about it for a moment, she suddenly lunged forward to grab it.

But, Poovazhagi had anticipated it. She quickly moved her hand behind her back and grinned. "Not so fast. Explain."

Alli sighed. "Look, it's nothing. I bought it in the Indra Vizha. With Valavan squabbling with me all the way back, I'd completely forgotten about it!"

Poovazhagi giggled, letting out a prolonged 'oh'. Alli grumbled. "Fine, fine. I know I was stupid. But, it was an impulsive decision, okay?"

Poovazhagi giggled some more. "Alright, I get it. But, now you remember, don't you? Do it!"

Alli shot the bag a dubious look. "What? No!"

Poovazhagi shoved the bag into her hands. "Come on! You bought it for him, right? Do it!!"

Alli stared at it for a long moment. A slow smile spread across her face. "You know what? I'll do it."

.................

Valavan hung his sword back on the wall. Sweat dripped down from his hair, running in small rivulets across his torso.

Beside him, Chezhiyan did the same. It was the wee hours of the morning. As usual, Valavan was in the training room. Only Chezhiyan was with him. Vikraman and Parthiban had initially joined them and had both sparred with Valavan together. He was getting better and better. But, they had left a while ago as their routine was done.

Alli and Poovazhagi were not there either. They had said that they wanted to go somewhere. Alli had promised a reluctant Valavan that she would definitely train in the evening as compensation.

Now, even after they had finished training, both of them were nowhere to be seen.

A trickle of concern flared inside Valavan. He turned to Ilanchezhiyan. "Why are they not back yet?" It began morphing into panic. "Do you think something must have gone wrong? What if Irungovel had kidnapped them?"

Chezhiyan waved him off. "I'm sure they are alright, Prince. Worry not."

Why was he so calm?

Valavan narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "You know where they are, don't you? Else, you are the one who must have been out of your mind by now!"

He shrugged non-commitally. "Oh, I imagine that it must be a surprise."

Valavan knew his game. "Stop deflecting, Chezhiya! I know you never lie. Princess Poovazhagi told you beforehand, didn't she?"

Chezhiyan didn't reply, pretending to be busy toweling himself off. Valavan gritted his teeth.