Chapter 35: Vasuki

"I'm not squeaking! It's my-"

Valavan stopped mid-sentence as he heard the doors of his chamber open. Both Valavan and Alli turned towards the doors. Vikraman came in, beaming. "Princess Alli, you're called by... Oh!"

He stared at both of them, his eyes lingering over the covers Alli had grabbed and at how Valavan was still backed into his bed. Alli raised a brow at him. "What are you staring at?"

He looked at the covers in Alli's hands pointedly once more. "Is this what it looks like?"

"No!"

"Yes."

Alli looked at Valavan and scowled. "What are you talking about?"

Valavan batted his eyelashes innocently. "The truth." He turned to Vikraman, who was staring at them wide-eyed. "She's forcing me against my will!"

Vikraman's eyes bulged out of his sockets. Alli's glare intensified. "Prince!", she bit out.

Valavan shot her a mischievous look and winked. Despite what he just did, Alli melted. Her eyes softened as her lips threatened to curve upwards. Vikraman ran his fingers over his hair as he took in the new turn of events. "You know what?", he said, still looking shocked. "Forget it. I don't want to be a part of whatever... weird thing you both have going. I'll just tell what I came to tell and leave."

Alli rolled her eyes, the moment broken. "You should have done that right when you walked in here." Valavan helpfully added to it. "More like rudely barged into." They both shared a look at that, smirking.

Vikraman shot them a confused look. "Weren't you angry with him?"

"It's complicated", they replied simultaneously before exchanging surprised looks and smirking some more.

Vikraman appeared bewildered. "Whatever. I came to tell the Princess that her dance teacher has sent for her."

Valavan shot him a confused look. "Why are you coming to tell her that? Didn't she send a guard to deliver the message?"

Vikraman shrugged nonchalantly. "Oh, well you see, I thought I'll come over as I was standing nearer-"

"You wanted a peek."

"Yes, I did!", Vikraman exclaimed. "Everyone wants to know what's happening here!" He stared at Alli's hands again. "I was rewarded, wasn't I?"

Valavan rolled his eyes. Just then, he noticed that Alli didn't join in the conversation. He furrowed his brows. "Is everything alright?" 

Alli looked at him and nodded. "No, everything is alright. It's just that Vasuki takes classes in the evening on the first day we arrive to give us some rest. She only takes classes in the morning on the next day. I wonder why she wants to see us for." She shrugged. "I guess I'll only have to go and find out." She nodded at both of them. "You can come to see her if you wish." She headed for the door. "I'll meet you on the way there. Let me go grab my Salangai just in case." She left.

Valavan moved to get out of his bed. He slowly went over to where Vikraman was standing, grinning. Valavan shook his head and sighed. Vikraman linked both their arms together. "You have to tell me everything later!"