Chapter 51: The Indra Vizha

Alli adjusted the helmet on her head for the umpteenth time.

It was ridiculously heavy.

Beside her, Valavan groaned. "Will you quit doing that?"

"Shut up. I've to practice in this outfit for tomorrow! Try wearing this when the sun is blazing above you."

Valavan rolled his eyes. "Who asked you to wear a guard's uniform? I told you to wear a simple saree and just not wear your ornaments." He shot her a sarcastic look. "But, no! The Velir Princess of Nangur listens to no one."

She turned to smirk at him. "That she doesn't. She had also promised her father that she would go there in the disguise of a man. So, that is precisely how she will go."

Valavan shook his head. "Stop complaining then. You are getting on my nerves."

Alli huffed. "I don't know why I even bother coming with you."

Valavan shot her a sideways look. Before she could open her mouth to respond to that, the chariot stopped. Both of them looked outside.

They had arrived at Urayur.

Valavan was hit with a sudden bout of inexplicable joy. He inhaled deeply, savouring the smell of home.

Home.

He was home.

He felt Alli's hand on his shoulder. "Valavan?"

He turned to her, his excitement palpable. "We are in Urayur, Alli. We are in Urayur!"

She smiled at him. "Yes, we are."

Valavan got down and looked outside again. His eyes took in the huts, the houses, the shops, and the imposing Palace from afar hungrily. Every street and every road was decorated intricately for the Indra Vizha. People were thronging everywhere in their finest. He couldn't seem to pry his eyes away from drinking in every little detail, finally understanding how homesick Chezhiyan must have been every time he had returned from Puhar.

From behind, Alli laughed. "Stop drooling!"

He turned to her, his eyes wild. "I can't. You have no idea how much I missed this!"

Alli's eyes softened. "It's alright. Let's get to that inn I had stayed previously in. It has a great view outside. You can see to your heart's content."

Valavan nodded. The chariot then rode off, for they had specifically asked it to in order to not attract any attention. They had said that they would find another way back.

They made their way towards the inn's entrance. No one spared them a second glance. Alli adjusted her helmet again, groaning. "I can't wait for tomorrow! I need to get this off me."

Valavan turned to her, smirking. "Someone is eager to see their fiance."

Her face instantly changed as she shot him a look. "Yes! I'm very eager to see him for I can't wait to break off our engagement." She clucked her tongue. "It is only so because my present fiance insists. Looks like he is an extremely jealous person!"

Valavan rolled his eyes. She simply laughed. As they were about to enter, Valavan turned to her, suddenly feeling tired. He had trained for the event he was planning to participate in that morning too before coming.

"The only thing I want is to sleep now. In case you don't... Well, there are a lot of shops to explore."

Alli considered. "Good idea. We do have a full day to waste before tomorrow after all."

......................

The first half of Indra Vizha was over.

Irungovel leaned back against the special seat they had made for him above the arena. From his vantage point, the view below was crystal clear.