Chapter 34: Battle Scars

"Don't you worry about a thing, little one. Don't you worry about a thing."

Valavan sat up and gasped. He looked around breathing hard, feeling utterly disoriented. He turned and looked at his window. Sunlight was streaming in. The morning had already arrived. Valavan groaned and rubbed his eyes tiredly.

It was that wretched nightmare again.

Ever since he had gotten it for the first time about two weeks back, he'd been getting it every night since. Initially, it had only occurred as soon as he slept, ending somewhere around the middle of the night where he ended up waking drenched in sweat, screaming. Recently, however, it was occurring at random points of the night, like now, where it occurred right before he woke up. He had asked his Mama not to come into his room after the first two nights though. Valavan could see that it pained him to do so but he agreed. He doubted his Mama got any sleep nevertheless.

It was ruining any sleep he could have otherwise had too. He sighed.

He had to somehow get rid of this fear of fire that was plaguing him.

Well, he at least didn't wake up sobbing anymore.

Feeling tired, he got out of his bed slowly, careful not to strain his legs too much. Two days ago, they had removed the plantain leaves, the balm having effectively worked its magic. His legs were nowhere near fully healed but he was getting there. The burns were definitely getting better but it'll take a while before the skin fully healed. As he took a fresh neem twig to brush his teeth, he cast his mind back to what he had said.

If this is my punishment, then so be it. Let the very same legs that ran away remain charred. Let them remain as a remainder. Every time I look at them, I should be reminded of how this is all my fault. It should remind me of what needs to be done.

Yeah, right. Bold words indeed but it didn't make looking at his legs any easier. He was thankful that he at least had the dhoti to cover his legs to save him from the gory sight.

When he finished brushing his teeth and bathing carefully, he felt something off in his throat. He cleared his throat, trying to make it right. It still felt a bit different but not too uncomfortable. He brushed it off.

It must be a mild cold.

He made his way to the dining area. No one accompanied him as per his wishes. When he finally reached there slowly, he saw that everyone had already arrived, waiting for him. Everyone appeared to be pensive. They seemed to have cut their tense conversation short when they sensed his arrival.

Valavan raised a brow as he sat beside them. He hid a wince. The maids came forward to serve the food. Valavan took a bite. "What's the bad news?" Everyone including himself was surprised.

His voice was not normal. He had squeaked.

Mortified, he cleared his throat in an attempt to clear the obstruction and tried speaking again. He still squeaked. He cleared his throat again, frustrated. "Stupid cold", he muttered derisively.

His Mama smiled. "That's because it's not a cold, Valava!", he said cheerfully. Valavan looked at him, confused. That's when he caught Ilanchezhiyan's mischievous eyes. Everything clicked into place. "No!", he murmured, nauseated.

Chezhiyan's eyes glinted. "Oh yes, Prince. It's your voice breaking now." He laughed. "Remember all the while you had teased me when I was fourteen? Look how the tables have turned!"

"Fine, fine. I'm sorry", he muttered.

No, squeaked

God, he sounded ridiculous!