Chapter 52: The Spy

Valavan saw Alli a little beyond where the shops and houses ended. She was leaning against a tree casually, her helmet in hand. Upon seeing him, she straightened.

Valavan patted Kali, signalling her to stop. She did, eyeing Alli warily. Alli gazed up at her, a trickle of fear visible in her eyes.

Valavan tried to reassure her immediately. "I promise, she's harmless. She won't hurt you."

Alli snorted. "Right. I just saw how harmless she was in the arena."

Valavan grinned. "Let me rephrase that. She won't hurt you because I asked her not to." He turned to Kali. "You won't, will you? She is just like Chezhiyan!"

Kali turned to eye him dubiously.

"You won't."

She turned back to Alli, not moving. That is a good sign. Alli watched her carefully. "I'll give you bananas", she offered.

Upon hearing the word 'bananas', Kali perked up. The hostility in her gaze visibly reduced. Valavan shot her a betrayed look. "Kali!"

Kali whipped her head towards him. He scowled. "Where is your loyalty? You are supposed to like someone only if I say so, not because they offer you some bananas!"

Kali looked at his empty hands pointedly again. He huffed. "Everyone cowers if they catch a mere sight of you and the secret to tame you is just bananas?!" He shot her a disgusted look. "I'm ashamed of you, you silly elephant."

Sensing his distress, she extended her trunk, nudging him playfully. He shook it off, looking away angrily.

He couldn't believe that he was actually offended!

As though Alli had the same thought, she laughed. "Do you not want her to like me, stupid? Do you want her to kill me instead?"

Valavan opened and closed his mouth several times. "I... Yes. No! I mean... She must have approved of your presence only after I had reassured her!" He exhaled. "I know that sounds rather childish but she's only ever liked me."

Alli patted his arm. "Well, you still told her first", she reminded him. Kali nudged him again and he sighed, circling his arm around her trunk. She flapped her big ears, obviously happy.

Valavan looked up into her eyes and couldn't remain angry any longer. She was happy just because he had acknowledged her, a thought that brought a slight smile onto his face. "Fine. Let's leave."

Alli looked up at Kali nervously. "On her?" She licked her lips. "Isn't there any other way?"

Valavan rolled his eyes. "First you make her like you without my permission and then you want to act all modest? Please. She just proved herself to be non-threatening!"

Alli shot him a look. "She did?"

"Yes! She didn't trample you to death on sight just because you stood too close to her for comfort."

Alli sighed. "That's very reassuring", she mumbled sarcastically. 

Valavan shrugged. "Look, you wanted a way home. I found you one. If you don't like it, just walk back all the way. Suits me just fine."

She glared at him and shoved her helmet and a bag into his hands. "Hold these while I get on top of her."

Valavan eyed the cover curiously. "What is in it?"

Alli shot him a warning look. "Whatever you do, don't open it. It's just a little something that I bought in the Indra Vizha. I don't want you to know of it's contents just yet."