Chapter 13: Third time's a charm

Four years later

The Nangurvel was tensed.

Poovazhagi and the Princess exchanged a bewildered glance. "What's the matter, Father? Is everything alright?", asked the Princess, anxious. The Nangurvel stopped his pacing momentarily and rubbed his face, frustrated. He turned to look at them with a tired smile. "What are you girls doing here so late?"

Night had already fallen. The moon cast a soft white light into the vast chamber, illuminating the art on the wall and making the long pillars cast even longer shadows. Both of them had popped into their father's chamber to bid him goodnight and had found him in such a state. They told him as much. The Nangurvel chuckled. "It's nothing much, sweethearts. Quit worrying and go sleep. I'll take care of it."

The Princess narrowed her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest. Poovazhagi stifled a laugh. "Are you refusing to tell us because we are girls?"

The Nangurvel laughed heartily. "Goodness me, no! It's just..." He sighed. "Oh well, I might as well tell you. Urayur has increased the taxes."

"Again?!"

The Nangurvel nodded dully. "That's exactly what I was thinking. This is the third time and we are in no position to pay that much." He thought back to all the Indra Vizhas he'd attended. "King Ilamchetchenni is such a good man. I don't know what is happening."

The Princess bit her lip. "What are you going to do?"

The Nangurvel sighed again. "I think I might have to go there myself and explain the situation."

Despite the dire circumstances, the Princess felt herself grow excited. She glanced at Poovazhagi. Her eyes mirrored her own.

"When are you going?"

"Tomorrow. This issue needs to be resolved at the earliest."

The Princess beamed. "Can I come with you?" She caught Poovazhagi's glare. She immediately corrected herself. "We. I meant we."

The Nangurvel looked startled. "What could you girls be possibly doing there? This isn't a meeting of pleasure!"

The Princess looked at him, eyes pleading. "Please? We won't disturb you. We don't have anything much to do here anyway."

The Nangurvel laughed. "That you don't." He saw both his girls' beseeching looks and gave in.

"We are leaving the first thing in the morning. Go get some sleep."

.......................

Ilanchezhiyan felt exuberant. 

Just the way he felt every time he returned home.

Home.

He smiled. Yes, Urayur was his home. He had accepted it long ago.

He breathed in the fresh morning air. It felt wonderful.

He saw people already opening their shops, ready for business. Farmers were making their way for their farms. The scene was so familiar that Ilanchezhiyan felt a pang of nostalgia hit him.

He had missed home.

When people saw who was in the chariot, they smiled broadly. "Welcome home, Commander", they shouted out enthusiastically.

Commander.

Even after two years, the term felt surreal. He felt a wave of exhilaration wash over him.

Yes, he was the Commander of Poompuhar.

He remembered the King's words when he had first met him. I want you to train along with my son and command troops in my army when you are ready. Are you up for it?"