Chapter 23: The Spur

The Nangurvel's face tightened. "Is what you just said true?"

One of his spies nodded. As all Kings do, he always kept tabs on other kingdoms, even though he was just a Velir. The latest report from Urayur wasn't what he had expected at all.

"But... but", he sputtered. "How can this be! Are you saying that Irungovel is not what he appeared to be?"

His spy nodded again. "I'm afraid so, Your Majesty. The way he talked insinuated that the Prince was unworthy and might have possibly had a hand in the King and the Queen's death. Rumours have it that he even killed someone who questioned him. Apparently, he even sent the Royal Elephant to fetch him, possibly to kill him once and for all."

The Nangurvel was flabbergasted. How could his normally impeccable sense of judgment have gone wrong? Was he the gullible one or was Irungovel that big a master in deceit?

Definitely the latter. Alli had been right all along.

Alli!

He nodded and dismissed the spy, heading straight for his daughter's chamber. She was seated with Poovazhagi on her bed, a heated discussion going on between them. Upon sensing his arrival, all talk ceased. The Nangurvel raised a brow at that.

Both the girls rose with a smile on their faces. Nangurvel let it slip for the time being. He went and sat along with them, throwing an arm around Alli. She snuggled closer and raised her head towards him, eyes searching. She could sense that he had come to tell her something.

"What is it, Pa?"

The Nangurvel sighed. "You were right."

Alli smirked. "I mostly am but what particular instance are you referring to?"

The Nangurvel shook his head and smiled, playfully twisting her ear. Alli squealed. Poovazhagi laughed.

The Velir king took a deep breath, sobering up. "About Prince Thirumavalavan I mean."

Both girls instantly stiffened and shot each other a look.

Okay...

Alli drew away from him, unsuccessfully trying to suppress her curiosity. "What do you mean?"

The Nangurvel exhaled. "Well, Irungovel didn't possess the honorable intentions that I had assumed he had."

Alli inhaled sharply. "How did you come to this conclusion?"

The Nangurvel shrugged. "How else? One of our spies informed me of the latest occurrences in Urayur." He proceeded to elaborate on what the spy had told him. Alli listened, eyes brewing with rage.

The Nangurvel finished, rubbing a tired hand over his face. "Now, I feel guilty. I must have listened to you and somehow helped the Prince." His eyes suddenly lit up. "Oh! Let's send one of our spies to find him." He paused. "Well, no. Not any spy. I'd only trust Vetrivel, our very best spy." He let out a frustrated breath. "But, he's not here. He said he's gone to resolve some personal issues."

He noticed Poovazhagi shooting Alli a pointed look. Alli cleared her throat, avoiding Poovazhagi's eyes. He eyed her suspiciously. "Is there something I must know?"

Alli swept her tongue over her suddenly parched lips. "Ah, you see... it's nothing really." She attempted to smile. It came out all wobbly, belying her nervousness. "Like father, like daughter."

The Nangurvel began to get an inkling of what his daughter must have been up to. He looked at her sternly. "Alli..."

Alli suddenly straightened, her eyes defensive. "Well, what did you expect? I tried getting you to help him or revealing the truth myself. But you wouldn't let me do either!" She crossed her arms. "It was the right thing to do. Urayur needs him. Besides, see! You cannot deny that I saved time!!"