Chapter 8 - ROLAND COMES TO THE RESCUE

Start from the beginning

''Yes, we remortgaged the house. I'll never be able to pay the debt so we've had it, I'm so sorry''  

 ''No one's going to be on the streets because I'll pay the debt'' Roland said ''I have a lot of money saved up I can afford to pay it''

''No I can't ask you to do that'' Fanny said ''it would not be fair''

''You didn't ask, I offered and I want to do it. I want to help you, you've been so kind to me and it's the least I can do. I know Quentin would want me to do it too''  

''Oh, uncle Roland you're awesome!'' Anne said and hugged him ''Oh I love you, you are great''

Julian, Dick, and Fanny also thanked Roland

''I think it would be a good idea if I stayed here for a while longer even after my house is ready to return to'' Roland said ''you need someone here to support you during this time. I know Quentin would want me to do that''

George was standing in the doorway in silence listening to what was being said and becoming increasingly unhappy about it. This man, who she didn't even like, really was trying to take her father's place. He's been missing for less than a full day and already Roland is stepping into his shoes. She just didn't like him or how he was always such a great guy, helping out and everyone loved him. She felt like there was something unnatural and artificial about his nice guy act. He was always smiling but she saw the coldness in his eyes as she had with the psychiatrist.   

''Georgina are you going to say something?'' Her mother demanded

''Like what?''

''Like thank you, Roland, might be a good start, everyone else has and you're just standing there in silence being difficult as usual''

''Mother I have a question for you''

''Yes, what is it?''

''How much longer is Timmy going to be banished to the garden? You know I would prefer to have him back indoors with me''

''Well this is really difficult you know that because Roly just doesn't like dogs dear so how can we let Timmy back in here?''

''Well I was rather hoping that dear Roly might actually leave at some point but it seems like he has his feet under the table for good now'' Georgina said with an angry sneer

''Timmy will stay in the garden and that's final''

''Ok in that case I am moving into the garage to sleep and Timmy can stay in the garage with me'' George said defiantly

''Don't be so ridiculous'' her mother said ''that is out of the question Georgina''

''No, it's not, I will do it. If I can't have Timmy in here with me I'll move into the garage with him''

''Well I dread to think what your father would say if he was here''

''Well he isn't here is he remember, you've already decided he is dead so in that case, he is never coming back so it won't really matter now will it'' George knew that this sounded callous but she was so fed up the words just came out and she wanted to hurt her mother. She loved her father and wanted him to be alive and to come back home. All the time there was nobody there was hope and George would cling to that even if the others had already written her father off

''Oh, you wicked wicked girl'' Fanny cried ''You just don't care what poison comes out of that wretched tongue do you. Ok fine if you want to go and live in that smelly old garage with that damn nuisance of a dog, then do it. I'm just about sick of the sight of you''

George left the room feeling angry and hurt but happy to be going to the garage to be with Timmy and away from Roland

''That girl really is dreadful'' Fanny said after she had left ''I know it's a terrible thing to say about my own daughter but sometimes I wish I could get rid of her. I mean just send her away to boarding school or something, let them deal with her so that she is out of my hair and I don't have to deal with her. She is just too much for me''

''Try not to be too hard on her eh'' Roland said with a smile ''She has just lost her father she is bound to be a bit moody''

''But it's not just today, is it? Look at the way she treats you Roly and you're so kind to us and so helpful and she is ungrateful. Nothing you do is ever good enough for our Georgina''

''I agree with you'' Anne said ''I like uncle Roland, he is so kind and now he is going to help us with the debts so that we can stay here and not be homeless. I can't understand why Georgina is being so nasty to you Uncle Roly''

The boys agreed too. ''George is just a pain'' Dick said

''I've been grounded for this last month because of her'' Julian said ''She provoked me into that fight, it was her fault that I got angry and she got us both punished'' 

George went to her room and packed her stuff and then went to the garage with Timmy

She sat on her sleeping bag and looked around feeling very down

''Well Timmy looks like it's just the two of us in here'' she said ''I know it's not great but it will do for us. We'll be ok''

Timmy sat down on the sleeping bag beside his mistress and sensing she was sad he laid a paw on her lap to comfort her.