Chapter 5 - JOANNA

Start from the beginning

''Are you sure George? I mean sorry to say this but you've been pretty mad at mum and dad lately, especially after seeing the psychiatrist. Are you sure you didn't take it to get back at them?''

''Oh thanks a lot, bro, it's good to know what you really think of me''    

''I'm sorry but I had to ask. If you did it then you must own up, it's very unfair that I get punished for this, 3 months  is going to kill me''

'' Look I didn't take it ok., I swear''

''Then who did? It wouldn't have been Dick or Annie, they are too much of a pair of goody-two-shoes''

''I think it was Roland'' George said confidently

''Oh my god George, not this again. We know you don't like him but do you really have to stoop so low?''

''Well, why couldn't it be him, tell me that?''

''He is a nice man, he is not a thief''

''Isn't he? Well then answer me this, if he didn't take it then what was he doing searching around in mum and dad's room the other day?''

''You saw him in their room?''

''Oh yes, but he didn't see me. I stayed out of sight and watched him, he was in there for about 10 minutes looking around, looking in drawers and stuff like that''

''You're a liar, I don't believe a word of it, you're just saying it because you don't like Roland''

''Well it's true, you should know by now I don't tell lies''

''If it's true why did you wait until now to say anything, why not say something yesterday?'' Julian asked, still very doubtful about what his sister was saying

''I didn't say anything because I didn't think there was any point, I know how much you all worship the man and I knew no one would believe me anyway and it seems I was right wasn't I? But I know what I saw''

''Ok well even if it is true it doesn't mean he went in there to steal the necklace''

''Why else would he go in there and poke around then?''

''I don't know, there is probably a perfectly innocent explanation for it''

''If there is I can't begin to imagine what it would be. It's hardly normal to be hunting around in someone else's bedroom, I know I have never been in your's or mum and dad's room to look around. I am convinced he stole the necklace''

''Oh just shut up now'' Julian said with annoyance ''I won't hear another word said against uncle Roland. I just need to try and think about how I can get out of this 3-month grounding that's all'' 

Quentin, Fanny, and Roland were sitting together in the lounge, enjoying some tea and cake

''I'm really upset about grounding Julian and Georgina for 3 months'' Fanny said ''we have no proof it was them who took it''

''It had to be one of them'' Quentin said ''I think Georgina probably took it but we'll have to punish them both unless she is willing to own up''

''Well I really don't think either of them took it you know'' Roland said while sipping his tea

''But it had to be one of them surely? I just can't imagine Dick or Annie doing it and we know it wasn't you Roly my dear friend''

Roland shook his head with sorrow and took a bite out of his victoria sponge ''This is awful'' he said at last ''I hate doing this but I have no choice. I believe Joanna took the necklace. You see yesterday when I was here alone with her when she came to clean she told me she is in serious debt and doesn't know how to pay it. Sadly I do believe she may have stolen that necklace to help pay her debts''

''Oh gosh really?'' Fanny said looking shocked ''Well she didn't say anything to me about being in debt''

''She only told me because she needed someone to confide in. She didn't want to tell a lot of people''

''She is such a nice lady, I am sure she didn't do it'' Fanny said shaking her head ''I don't think she did it and I can't just accuse her of taking it''

''There is one way to know for sure if she took it or not'' Roland told them ''Next time she is here check your room to see if anything else goes missing just before she leaves the house if you see anything has gone then ask to look in her bag. If she took it then we'll find it in her bag''

The next time Joanna was in the house Fanny and Quentin kept an eye on her. Just before she left they went to check their room while Roland chatted to Joanna in the hallway to delay her exit from the house. They were dismayed to discover that Quentin's expensive watch was now missing. They rushed back down to Joanna and Roland

''Joanna can we have a look in your bag please?''  Fanny asked

''But why Mrs. Kirrin? Joanna said confused

''Sorry but a necklace of mine went missing a few days ago and now Quentin's watch too, we must check your bag, Joanna''

Joanna became angry ''Oh I see'' she said ''You think I took it? well, how nice of you. Go ahead and search my bag, you won't find your damn watch in there. Nice to know you trust me though guys!''

She handed her bag over resentfully. Quentin opened it and started to look in there and found the watch ''Well well well what do we have here? I think you have some explaining to do?''

Joanna looked like she was about to faint with shock ''I did not put that there I swear'' she said ''please, believe me, I am not a thief and I didn't take that watch''

''And I suppose next you'll be saying the watch grew a pair of legs and walked into your bag all by itself? Quentin rolled his eyes ''We'll have to call the police about this. Well unless you're prepared to give us back the necklace''

Joanna was in tears ''Look I didn't take it I can't give it back if I didn't take it, to begin with''

''You can't give it back because you took it and sold it is what you really mean isn't it?'' Quentin said

''Look I'll just go now, I won't come back. If you think I am a thief its best to cut ties now''

''Well you've been fired now anyway but you aren't just going to walk away and get away with stealing the necklace'' Quentin said and phoned the police

''Please Mrs. Kirrin'' Joanna said looking at Fanny with tears rolling down her cheek ''I didn't steal the necklace if you get the police involved it will just cause a lot of hassle for us all. I'll just go now and never come back''

''Forget it, I am telling the police and I won't change my mind'' Quentin told her ''there is no point asking my wife to help you, she will back me up''

''Ok tell the police then, it's your word against mine, you have no proof I took anything, the police can't charge me for it'' Joanna was very angry and bitter now

''Maybe you're right but they can keep an unofficial record of the complaint. that means in the future if you're accused of anything like this again the police will know you have already been accused of it before and it could help with getting you convicted and punished for it. So I will make the complaint anyway''

Joanna was taken away by the police to be interviewed. She denied it and was released without charge but a record of the complaint was kept like Quentin said it would be. Joanna was fired and didn't return to the house, she said she had quit anyway. George and Julian were told that their 3-month grounding was lifted as they were now in the clear. George still didn't trust Roland and was still suspicious about having seen him looking around in her parent's bedroom, she somehow felt that he was the thief. But she had to admit that there was no reason for Roland to want to frame Joanna for it, that didn't make much sense, what was the motive? Maybe Joanna really was the thief but it made George very sad because she liked Joanna.