Vol 2 Chapter 2.1

Solution

After school, the classes divided into groups of 5, each harbouring 8 members. Over night I informed the tutors of the oncoming storm and the incident that happened the day before, naturally all of them were shocked but they followed commands by the looks of things and didn't tell their friends.

Since there was no need to look for any eye witnesses, it would be best for the class to act as normal as possible to not raise any suspicions. The bad part about my strategy is the waiting, you see paranoid of the fact that Hiyori might betray me. It sounds crazy but I just met her so placing that much trust into her already, chances are she could take advantage of me and overtake our class.

That's the worst case scenario that I would love to avoid. Thankfully on the surface Hiyori doesn't seem like the type to snitch, she's even given me a text about how class-D acts in class. To put it in words, we shouldn't have taken over their spot in the first place as a class. It was really only because if me that we ascended so early in the year, otherwise we'd still be stuck in D-class.

Another thing I've yet to confirm is if class-D has any spies among other classes, or even other years. There are about 400 students in the entire school year, even if you left out  those from class-1D and C, the difference isn't that big. There's a 5% chance class-D has already formed an alliance with another class, if that's the case I would like to move as quickly as possible which leads me to my plan.

"Ummm, Sugihara-kun? Why are we watching Sudou-kun practicing basketball?" Matsushita asks me while standing near the wall.

Out of everyone in the class, my group is the most important as we're the ones who have Sudou, a former target, as a study member. If he gets attack again we'll be in big trouble, thus they're one of the only people in the class who knows about the Sudou incident and the possible attack from class-D. You could not believe the surprised faces they had but they had to know about so protecting Sudou would be easier.

"It's to ensure Sudou's safety. I said if you weren't interested in this it would be best to go for another study group right? If you don't find this interesting be my guest."

"Why did you have to put it in such a rude way?" She pouts cutely at my reply.

I formed my study group into different parts. While me, Matsushita and Ayanokouji are down here on the ground, Miyake, Sakura, Hasebe and Mori are in an the special annex building spying down on both us and Sudou. There's no way anyone could pull a trick like this but just to be sure the two groups are made of rather capable people. Believe it or not Miyake is an extremely capable leader so he should be handling three people just fine.

"I still don't get why I'm the only girl here."

"Who said you were the only one?" I turn to a rather late Kane who apperantly was late due to the fact she wanted to go buy some more food.

"You invited someone else? I thought it was only supposed to be our group."

"Well yeah at first but Kane isn't in any study groups apperantly. She's supposed to be instructed to Horikita's but turns out she doesn't need the help at all, you saw how she scored an amazing 95 without studying any material whatsoever."

Obviously I have no proof that Kane didn't study, but by the way she acts and speaks it became apparent to me that she wasn't the studious type. If she really stepped in and won a debate against three dudes, she must be pretty strong as well which makes her a valuable piece I would rather not go against me.

"Don't think of that kind of stuff behind my back ya honk. Anyway as he said, I'm just here to observe with you guys since I was involved in the Sudou incident directly." Kane leans against the wall next to Matsushita as she spoke. She brings out another sandwich she bought earlier and begins to chow down on it.

"What do you think class-D's motive is for attacking us?" Ayanokouji suddenly brings out an interesting topic.

"Not sure, even I'm bamboozled. If I had to guess....maybe to kick us down while our ego is up?" He nods as if he came to the same conclusion earlier.

It would only make sense if class-D wants to take their place back out of anger for us overtaking them. The only down side to their plan is that it's strangely timed. Anyone can predict a possible attack if you attack your opponent while they're above you celebrating, if I were then I would have likely attacked our class when we were still in class-D.

On top of that it was a direct confrontation, something you'd want to avoid as much as possible. Despite the risk, I understand the possible reward would be huge. Should I think into this that much? Perhaps it's some sort of ploy to distract me.....whoever this leader behind class-D is, they have me on my toes and I don't like it.

Again this is going of my assumptions so I wouldn't know how the opposing threat could act when I haven't any idea of their personality. There's no way Ishizaki was the one who initiated the plan, I got some info on him thanks to Hiyori and he doesn't seem like the smart type. Hiyori is smart but I doubt such a calm and sweet soul could harm another class.

That doesn't narrow it down much. I may have to go and confront class-D myself, albeit in the most casual way possible so they don't suspect anything. Either that or I depend on Hiyori's help for info gathering, that's given if Hiyori isn't a traitor which I doubt she is.

"who do you think the leader of class-D is?"

"Hell if I know, I haven't touched on the subject much after yesterday. You guys stay here, I'll get a drink." I shove my hands into my pocket and begin to walk towards a vending machine.

I recall the security cameras outside the school near the basketball court are surprisingly few in between. Especially when some of them are no where near certain vending machines and alleyways. This makes it a perfect place for conflict and possible....bait.

I finally reach a vending machine and pick the drink I want before swiping my student ID for the purchase.

"So you're the one pulling class-C's strings huh?"

"Hmm? Who are you, need my help with something?" An unfamiliar young man of average height with shoulder-length magenta hair that is styled on either side, and sharp magenta coloured eyes. He also has a pretty impressive physique.

"Ryuuen Kakeru. You and I are gonna have a chat here."