Vol 1 Chapter 4.4

The end of normality

After seeing off Hoshinomiya-sensei, Chabashira-sensei lightly scratches the back of her head before continuing walking towards the guidance room. Who knew this guidance room is just right next to the staff room?

"I'll get straight to the point, what's the reason you called the two of us here for? We're pretty busy students ya know?" I decided to break ice the moment we reach the door.

"Umm, before I talk about that....come over here."

She glances at the clock on the wall before opening the door. While I explore the room, she puts a kettle on top of a stove in the office kitchen.

Man, I don't think I've ever been to an office kitchen before. I mean it's nothing special compared to normal kitchens but it is quite the sight. Seeing Chabashira-sensei this tamed too, she's a normal woman but I can sense she still has her guard up, still that unapproachable aura around her has completely dissipated.

"I'll be making green tea. Are you two alright with roasted green tea?"

I see Ayanokouji pick up a the container containing roasted green tea powder.

"Don't do anything extra, enter quietly. Until I say you can come back out, stand here quietly. If you don't, you'll be expelled. As for you Sugihara, come with me."

"Wait what? What kind of ploy is thi-" before I could finish, Chabashira-sensei pushes me out the office kitchen, leaving Ayanokouji inside by himself.

She instructed me to sit on the couch and act "normal", I'm not sure what her definition of normal is but I can just act the same as I am in class. Sort of loud when I need to but quiet most of the time, that's how it's been.

Before long, I hear the door to the guidance room open as I fix my posture to act as normal as possible.

"Here, come in. Well then, what do you have to say to me? Horikita."

Horikita looks at me with a confused expression, I guess she didn't expect me to come running here after what happened in class. Though that wasn't exactly the case, I can see why she would think that.

Regaining her composure, Horikita straightens herself before finally speaking.

"I will ask you frankly. Why was I out in class-D?"

"Are you really asking frankly?"

"Today, Sugihara-kun said that the classes are divided by superiority. He even indicated that class-D is reserved for "leftovers" and those with defective qualities. Isn't that correct, Sugihara-kun?" She glances at me to which I nod and drink my tea. Huh, this is good. Never had roasted green tea before....but this is good!

She seems to consider herself as a "superior" student compared to the rest of class-D. I'm betting she'll confidently agree with my words, not knowing her form of superior is just normality.

"I believe that I solved nearly all the questions on the entrance exam and made no mistakes during the interview. At the very least, I think my placement in class-D is flawed."

Dead on! I've learned from the weeks of school, that Horikita is the type to think of herself as "the best". She isn't self-conscious either, and really thinks she is above everything and everyone. She even tied for second place in the test we had, though she must have had some sort of breakdown seeing my score.