Jason has weird friends

Start from the beginning

Bruce stood at the computer, searching through a long list of search results, none of them actually showing him what he'd been trying to find. He rubbed a hand over his face with a sigh. "There has to be something on him in here somewhere," he muttered.

Alfred stopped to look over his shoulder. "Still searching for something on that Mr. William Cobb are you?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes," Bruce muttered, knowing full well that Alfred wished he'd give it a rest.

"Master Bruce. You know I miss the lad as much as anyone, but you've been searching for something to incriminate this uncle of his for weeks and you haven't found anything... Perhaps there isn't anything to be found," he said.

Bruce squeezed his eyes shut, pinching the bridge of his nose. "There was something about him that just didn't seem right," he argued weakly.

"And was that thing simply that he had a legitimate claim to take Master Dick away from you?" Alfred asked, folding his arms.

Bruce sighed, cancelling the search and turning off the computer. "I guess you're right. I should be glad that he has some family to take him in... but I can't help but feel that something bad is going on."

"It's only natural that you'd be concerned for the child. But I assure you he'll be fine... After all it's best that he's with his actual family."

10 years later

Jason sat on one of the higher ledges of the Wayne Enterprises tower, waiting for his strange friend to show his face.

Soon enough the man appeared. His face was speckled with blood, telling Jason that he'd probably just finished with a mission.

Jason wasn't naive. He knew that hanging out with a talon wasn't exactly the smartest thing, but he knew his friend wouldn't hurt him. He'd saved his life once after all. In fact, that was what had started their friendship in the first place, so Jason wasn't the least bit nervous about the talon that sat down next to him.

"They gave you some extra time out on the town after your last mission?" Jason asked.

The talon, or simply Talon as Jason called him, nodded, not usually one for talking, seeing as the court would cut out his tongue if they so much as heard him utter a single word.

"Cool," Jason said, sitting in comfortable silence for a moment before grabbing his backpack and reaching inside. He pulled out a small bag of candies and handed it to the man sat next to him.

Talon tilted his head in slight confusion and grabbed the bag.

"These are candies," Jason said. "There's a bunch of different kinds in there that I thought you might like."

A quiet cooing noise could be heard as Talon opened the bag and grabbed one of the candies, handing it to Jason to unwrap before popping it into his mouth.

Jason watched for a moment, chuckling when Talon's face scrunched up at the sour taste of the candy. "Sour?" He asked with a laugh.

Talon nodded, using one of the few signs Jason taught him to express his dislike. He leaned over the edge and spat the candy out, watching it with his enhanced eyesight as it fell to the ground below.

"Sorry," Jason said with a chuckle. "That one was just a joke." He grabbed a different candy and opened it, holding it out towards the other.

Talon looked at the candy skeptically.