Chapter Twenty Seven: Glow

27

"I still can't believe you're getting married." Max says as I hand him a glass of Pinot noir.

"Neither can I, it's been kinda surreal. I keep thinking I'm dreaming and I just haven't woken up yet."

I sit on the couch next to Max. He looks at me "So where you guys going next week?"

"Bora Bora. I wanted to go somewhere neither one of us have been. It's easy for me because I've never left New York. So he picked Bora Bora."

"That'll be nice, get out of the cold weather a while. Speaking of getting out of New York, you know where you guys are gonna honeymoon?"

I shrug "Haven't thought about it. I haven't really thought about any wedding plans. I still feel the newly engaged glow. I don't even know what dress I want yet."

"You're gonna look gorgeous in whatever, Char."

"You sound like Chris, I'm sure he'd be fine if I walked out in a white garbage bag." I take a sip of my wine

"You need to be in a gorgeous gown. All the designers are gonna be fighting to design it."

I roll my eyes "I'll wear something off the rack."

He looks at me in horror and clutches his chest. "You will not! Charlotte Jane Montgomery, you need to be in something one of a kind!"

I give him an odd look "Why do you care so much? I'm marrying the man I love, that's what truly matters here."

"Honey, honey, your wedding is gonna be the talk of the town. You're marrying one of the richest men in New York, you can't be wearing off the rack. For once be a gold digger."

I roll my eyes "I'll wear whatever dress feels right. I wanna feel like a bride, whether I feel like a bride in a ten dollar dress or a million dollar dress it won't matter."

Max shrugs "You're right, after all it's just gonna end up on some floor somewhere on your honeymoon."

I raise my glass to him "Exactly!" I giggle "Enough about me! How's it going with Ben?"

"Really good, I finally decided to move in with him."

I smile widely "That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you!"

"Thanks, it's a big step. I'm kinda nervous, I've only lived with one guy before and he moved in with me. I've never been the one moving in."

I grab his hand and squeeze. "You'll be fine, in fact I think Ben might be the one."

"You think so?" He looks at me " Honestly I've been thinking the same thing. Like, I know it hasn't been long at all but I could see myself staying with Ben."

"He's great. Perfect for you, honestly. What brought up the moving in thing?"

"My lease on my apartments up and I don't really wanna renew it. Plus if Ben and I are gonna go the distance it doesn't make sense for me to move into a new complex just to move in to his place months later you know? Moving sucks ass and id rather only do it once."

"I say do it! It'll be weird not having you living in that same apartment." I take another sip of my wine

"I think I actually welcome the change. It'll be good for me, I'm pretty excited."

I smile "Look at us Maxy, I think we're doing just fine for ourselves. Did you ever dream of us being where we are?"

"You being engaged to a billionaire and me moving in with my wonderful partner? Hell no." He laughs