Chapter Twenty: Struggling

20

The past week and a half's been rough, I moved out of Chris's place and I just signed a lease on my own place. It's just a small one bedroom one bathroom townhouse. I could've just stayed with Max but, he and Ben need their privacy. I didn't wanna intrude on them, it didn't seem right.

I got to move in my place today, I didn't have much to bring with me. All I have are my clothes and some toiletries I bought. I also had to buy a new mattress, some sheets, blankets, and pillows. As you can probably guess my money's tight, it'll probably be a while till I can fully furnish this place.

Max thinks I'm crazy because I rented this place. It was either crash at his place or spend money on a hotel for god knows how long. It seemed like this was the smartest option. Plus I can live alone, I'm more than capable.

I go in my living room and look at my bed. I have my mattress on the floor because I haven't bought a box spring or frame yet. Plus I don't have a couch so for now it's doubling as my couch. I sit on the mattress and look around. It's so empty, I groan and grab my laptop. I need to do some work.

I haven't talked to Chris since he broke up with me. I haven't seen him at all either, I figured I'd at least see him when he came to see Nancy. He's been a ghost, part of me understands why this break up's a good thing. The other part of me misses him like crazy. I just know I can't be in a relationship with a man that doesn't want the same things I do. It was never gonna work with Chris and I think deep down I knew that.

This morning I got up and showered, had a bowl of cereal for breakfast then headed to work. Driving every morning to work has been a change. I'd walk but I live to far from work to do that now, it takes me twenty minutes by car to get there. I park my car in the parking garage, I grab my bag then get out of the car.

I walk the short distance from the parking garage to work. I walk in and see Laura talking to John in the lobby, I say hello not really wanting to have small talk then go to my office. I set my things down on my desk then go to find Nancy. I head down the hall and knock on her door, she opens it and smiles "Hi, Charlotte. What can I do for you?"

"I was just wondering if I could ask you something?"

"Sure what's up?" I walk in and she closes the door

"I was just wondering if Chris has been coming to his appointments?"

She gives me a puzzled look "Hun, he isn't my client anymore. Didn't he tell you?"

"What? No? Since when?"

"At least a week? He said he wanted to go see another therapist, I recommended someone to him."

"So..He's gone? He won't be coming in anymore?" I ask glumly

She shakes her head "No, not that I know of. I wished him well and he seemed happy with moving on."

I nod "Okay. Thank you, Nancy." I walk out of her office then head back to my own. I'm not surprised he quit seeing Nancy. Probably didn't wanna risk seeing me when he was here for his sessions. I hope he really did go see that new therapist.

After work I gather my things up and head out. On the way out I see Laura talking with Nancy. I wave goodbye to them, not having the energy to stay and chat. I walk out of the building and to my surprise I see the SUV. Malcom rolls down the window.

"Malcom? What's going on?"

"I need your address, dear. I still have to give you your things."

"Oh, right." I say disappointed that he wasn't here because Chris wanted to see me. "Do you have a piece of paper?"