Chapter Fourteen: Threat

14

Over the weekend I moved out of Max's place. I didn't get a chance to talk to him because he wasn't there when I was. He told me he was gone for the weekend. I guess he went somewhere with Ben. Maybe during the week I can get him to come to lunch with me, talk things out and so I can apologize for being a bad sister.

I sit in my room on the floor unpacking boxes. Chris told me to consider this room mine, he doesn't want me to see it as a guest room anymore. I sigh and keep going through a box, I find a photo album. I open it and start looking through the pictures. Such fond memories of Max and I. Some of the pictures date back to when we were just starting college, possibly even senior year of high school.

Chris helped me take my things out of the apartment but I told him I wanted to unpack alone. I told him if I need him, then I'll come find him. He seemed a bit distracted today, I just figured it was a work thing. After all there was that disaster during the week.

I keep looking through the pictures and Chris comes in. "Take a break, baby. You've been busy all day."

"I'm fine, I wanna get this sorted." I close the photo album "what're you doing?"

"Had some work to do. I had some business calls to make." He sits on the floor with me and kisses my cheek. "You gonna call Max when he gets home?"

I sigh "I'd like to, if he'll let me. I'm not sure I deserve it. He's the best friend and brother a girl could have and I screwed up."

"Don't beat yourself up, baby. Maxwell loves you. He just needs space to breathe."

I nod "Has Mrs.Holland left for the evening?"

"Yeah, she did a little while ago. Did you need something?"

"No, just wondering. She's so quiet that I barely hear her sometimes. Maybe I can ask Max to see me tomorrow for lunch."

"No harm in trying."

"I'll text him later. Or maybe in the morning. If he says no, will you have lunch with me?"

"I would but, I can't. I have an important meeting. We can have dinner together."

I nod "Okay." I sigh then look at my phone and see it's past 10. "Where did the day go? I need to start getting ready for bed." I get up and go to my suitcase and take out a pair of black cotton shorts and a white t shirt. "I'm gonna shower. Join me?"

He looks at me "Sure. Let's use my shower though. It's bigger."

We leave my room and go down the hall to his. I go in his bathroom and open the shower. I start the water then start undressing. I don't waste any time and just get in. I stand under the water and I hear him come in. He stands behind me and kisses my shoulder.

"I wanna go to oculus." I tell him

He looks at me and I say "Not for sex. I wanna talk to that Jasmine girl again. She seemed nice when I met her."

"Jasmine's great. I'll ask her to set something up with you." He wraps his arms around me "You guys would be great friends, I think."

"I think you're right. I need more friends."

"I'll talk to her next time I see her. I don't know when that'll be."

"Whenever's fine." I look up at him

He looks down at me and kisses my forehead.

During work I tried texting Max, everything I typed didn't sound right. I wish I could've seen him yesterday, that way I could've judged how he's feeling by how he and I interacted. I groan and toss my phone in my desk then shut the drawer.