Chapter Twenty One: Dread

Chris's POV

21

These past few weeks have been absolutely fucking dreadful. I know I broke up with Charlotte for a good reason, except I don't see the good in it anymore. I need to just, find someone else. Maybe I'll go to Oculus, get the one thing Charlotte absolutely REFUSED to give me. I sit at my desk waiting to go to a meeting.

My assistant Samantha's voice comes in on my intercom. "Mr.Cerulli, your sister Ivy is on line one."

I groan, the last thing I wanna do is talk to my endearing yet annoying little sister. I press the red button and say "Tell her I'm busy." I let go of the button and sit back.

My assistant says through the intercom "Sir, she said if you don't talk to her, she'll be dropping by."

I groan then press the button again "Okay. I'll talk to her. Thank you." I let go of the button and pick up my office phone. "What can I do for you Ivy?"

"Answering the damn phone once and while might be helpful. Jeez."

I clench my fist "I'm a busy man, what can I do for you."

"I figured you'd forgotten it's Dad's birthday."

"I didn't forget, I just don't give a shit."

"Come onn!" She whines "Don't make me go there alone! I need my big brother there."

"You know Ivy, you don't have to go there either. That man doesn't deserve a thing from us. Me especially."

"I know but, feeling left out on your birthday isn't a good feeling. I mean, I'm sure you won't wanna feel that way! Your birthdays coming up too. The big three one!"

"He won't feel left out, his thick layer of bullshit and your mother will keep him company."

"Gross. Okay fine, you don't have to come. But what about your birthday? What're you going to do?"

"I'm an adult Ivy, I don't celebrate my birthday. I'll be at work then I'll leave there and go home and go to bed."

Ivy groans "You're such a grumpy old man. You know Charlotte would've never had let you do nothing on your birthday."

I clench my fist harder "Well she isn't here now, is she?"

"Obviously not!" She exclaims

"You know I never celebrate my birthday." I remind her

"Sure you do! I usually come over and we hang out."

"Well don't count on that either this year."

"I'm coming over, I'm not taking no for an answer. I can come up to your apartment whenever I want. You gave me your elevator key remember?"

"I changed it."

"What! When?"

"Recently." I shrug "So you're outta luck, kid."

I changed my elevator key the day after Charlotte left, I didn't want her to have the option to come back. I didn't wanna see her then, I'm not sure I do now. I haven't seen or spoken to her since I broke up with her. I know Malcom's seen her, he took her things to her new place. I was surprised she decided to move in her own place, I wonder why she didn't move to Maxwell's place.

"I'm sure it's something I can figure out. I'm smart." Ivy taunts

"You are smart, but you won't figure it out. And I wouldn't try either, if you screw it up three times a very loud alarm will sound and police will come."

"You're annoying." She groans

"Annoying and busy, I've gotta go. Have fun with Dad."

Before she can say anything, I hang the phone up. I lean back in my chair, tonight I'm seeing Mark. I need to let off some anger, but before that I need to get through this meeting.