(Chapter 86) Murder for Glory

Start from the beginning

"It seems so," Devane replied, but by the look vile executed by the eldest daughter to the youngest, doubted it was also blessed with harmony. "And this is my travel guard for the time being," The advisor added, extending a gesture to Jared.

The king gazed over him suspiciously. "I thought you were the last man in need of protection."

"He mostly protects me from boredom." Devane replied, "When he isn't annoying me with questions."

The Zar laughed to himself, always a fan of the advisor's dry humor. "Well if he'd like my children can give him a tour of the ivy gardens while we have our meeting."

"Certainty," Devane answered for him. Jared looked at the advisor with apprehension but went along with the prince's led. Once inside the castle, the royal guards stationed at the doors followed behind the group. They were so silent Jared didn't even notice their presence until three guarded each side of their group.

The queen dismissed herself with a polite bow and no real interest in any talk of politics. "You keeping an Emorian at court is interesting enough, but why have you brought him along with you here?" The Zar inquired, once they were finally left alone.

Devane let out a laugh of air through his nose and eyed the Ani guards so well trained that if he didn't know to look for them he would have never spotted them blending into the castle's interior. "Your spies are as competent and ubiquitous as ever." Devane said. "I'm running an experiment," He watched as Jared walked further out of sight with the three siblings. "One to see how far a man can get with only hope."

"And where is he hoping to go?" Zar Druard pressed.

"To the impossible."

"Strange," King Druard replied. "You sound like you almost believe he could." The king and long-time acquaintance looked at the advisor skeptically. Like the spies his kingdom produced, he was as trained in detecting every subtle cue that gave light to a person's true inner feelings.

"I think it's entertaining," Devane said, his smile turning sinister. "To watch a man lose all hope. To see the desperation in his eyes and the break of his spirit." The advisor looked back at the king and the monarch's smile turned thinner and closer to the one Devane wore.

"I'm sure it's something you miss seeing." The Zar spoke with envy, walking the white gold halls to the meeting rooms. He never took part in any battle as his kingdom was built on the principles of peace, and it left a depraved appetite in the ruler's mind. A warped war fantasy of which murder was glory and violence was amusement. "Someone who has killed as many men as yourself must have enjoyed that quite a lot."

Devane smiled and made one quick glance back at Jared who had completely vanished. In this monarchs' presence, he had to mimic the demented personality of a bloodthirsty king who had never known violence. He hoped Jared would be quick enough to do the same with his children.

"What are Etilia's plans then?" The king asked, taking the head seat of the table in the meeting room.

"To remain as intact as possible," Devane replied, taking his seat. "If this war is to come, there has to be some structure left intact to rebuild."

"Or take over themselves." The king countered. "I'm sure the thoughts passed your mind. With how intertwined in Etilia's politics you are, it would be you who actually rules, not that dunce of a king or his absentee son."

"The world is too much to rule," Devane admitted, "I'd settle for it not actively destroying itself."

"Well, sometimes the only way to stop the destruction is to destroy the cause itself." The Zar urged as if he yearned for a part in ensuing so. "Is that what you plan to do?"