Fifty Nine

The powerful thump of Ryker’s heart tunneled into my right ear as he held me against his chest. Both of his arms were around my shoulders, caging me in his embrace. Tears streamed down my cheeks while we stood in silence, basking in one another’s presence. When he went to pull away, I gripped his body as hard as I dared, hoping to keep him close.

“I’m not going anywhere, little duck.” I bristled at the nickname but relaxed immediately as he smoothed a hand down my back. “Are you hungry? Let’s get some lunch.”

He led me from the lab, winding our way through the narrow corridors to a cafeteria. Other staff moved about the room, talking and laughing as machines cooked and served. I stuffed food in my mouth and stared at his face in wonder.

There were no dark lines under his eyes, and his gaunt cheeks were filled out. Though his face was tinted in sadness, a glimmer of hope sparkled deep in his dark eyes. Over and over he closed his hands around mine, grinning widely down at my face as he spoke. It warmed my insides.

We spoke about any and everything for hours. His deep voice laughing and recalling all of what happened while I was in the coma. Shivering, I drew my arms around myself. They’d all said it, reinforced it, but something just was… wrong about the entire thing.

I couldn’t imagine even settling down with Sharife Soljourner and starting a life. He wasn’t to blame for his father’s obsession. Yet, I didn’t want anything to do with him or the men trapped in the large cells at his lab. Hours went by before the sub rocked to a slow stop.

Sharife invited me to the starboard side of the sub, into his private suite, to watch us ascend to the surface. Dark blue waters lightened the higher we climbed, consuming the bright rays of the dying sun. Fingers pressed against the thick glass, I eagerly watched. Strangely, my nerves hopped like a kid in a candy store.

“Where are we?” I asked. Tall skyscrapers loomed in the distance, jabbing ruefully at the sky. “I don’t recognize this city.”

“It’s called Jerum.”

Frowning, I stared at him. “Jerum? Where are we?”

“Far away from what you know.” He smiled mysteriously. Unconsciously, he drew toward me. Pulling away, I put more distance between us until comfort massage my senses. No matter what he said, he and I didn’t feel right. “My father built this city when I was a child. It was the last thing he did before…” He drifted off.

He couldn’t speak the words. He couldn’t confess his father’s crimes. It was years ago, but the sting of losing a parent in such a violent manner stayed with you — always. Silently, our gazes held.

“Soljourner has a headquarters here and our home.”

“Our home?” I didn’t like the sound of that.

“Yes, the doctors recommended we visit somewhere familiar to see if it jogs your memory.”

Nodding, I sink my teeth into my bottom lip. “And if it doesn’t?”

“If what doesn’t?”

“If it doesn’t jog my memory?”

“Oh.” His face falls into a deep frown, furrowing his eyebrows. “Then we’ll have to try something else.” I fear the threat behind his guarantee. Emotion glitters in his bottomless hazel eyes, washing over me like a flood. The second his eyes release mine, my frame trembles. “Let’s get you out of this place and into where you belong.”

Where I belong? My eyes blink in disbelief, and I shove the foreign tingles in my spine to the side. No matter what he says, this isn’t my home.

Stubbornly, I turn my mind back to Hayden. His handsome face leans over me, wrinkled in concern. Light caressed his broad shoulders and back, setting his chocolate skin on fire. Mournfully, I will the memory to stay with me forever.