Fifty

“So, this is what it’s like to be a billionaire?” Renee whispered in awe. “No wonder you didn’t mind living alone.”

I didn’t bother to correct her. What would have been the point? Back then, when I abandoned them, I hadn’t considered the possibility of a shattered future. Those shards, so sharp and piercing, grate across my heart at every breath.

Renee came around my side and stared up, her face lighting up as she caught the photo of me and my Six. She reached up, almost uncontrollably, but dropped her hand at the last second. Almond-shaped eyes seared my profile, questioning its origin.

“I’ve seen them before…” she whispered, “at least three of them.”

“Yes.”

“They’re the ones who took you before…”

“Yes.”

She huffed, frustrated. “You knew them all along?”

Knew them. Fucked them. Loved them beyond measure.

“Yes.”

“Why did you let them take you?”

Turning to her, I smile sadly. “Because I belong with them.”

Five words spoken too late. Shaking my head, I compartmentalize my suffering. Jason, Lewis, and Charlie would never return, but that wouldn’t stop me from doing what is right. Renee and the Kirkland’s needed me, needed us, and I could do nothing as a blubbering mess. Walking away, I sat on my white leather sectional and crossed my legs.

“You belong with them?”

I nodded. “Yes.”

“I wish you’d quit it with the one-word answers.” Offering a simple shrug, I remained silent. “You promised to explain what was going on.”

Nervously, I swallowed harshly.

“You’re right, I promised to explain.” She settled into the couch, crossing her legs with bright expectant eyes focused on me. “Have you ever heard of Hawthorne Holdings?”

“Yes. I remember my brother went to work for Flitterby Snaps. The place that does the anime photos?” Despite not know what she was talking about, my head nodded. “What about them?”

“I am the CEO and sole owner of Hawthorne Holdings.”

Her mouth fished open and closed. Our gazes held as she choked on her words until she grasped the courage to utter a single word. “What?

“I’m not 17.” I confess. “I’m turning 25 in just a few short weeks. The only reason I enrolled at your school was to work on an… issue and I didn’t want to be disturbed.”

Slowly, her head nodded. “What does this have to do with them?” Her hand came up, pointing behind her at the photo.

“They are my personal guard.”

She waited, still staring at me with narrowed eyes. “I saw one of them kiss you, the blond one?”