Fifty Three

I was running out of time. As tears coursed down my cheeks, I shot to my feet and stumbled to the window. Hayden swayed, utterly exhausted, readying himself to fight again.

“Renee?” I called, turning my head in her direction.

Shakily, she rose to her feet. “I need you to grab your things, I’m getting you out of here.”

My promise is barely out of my lips before a jolt of energy battles through the center of my chest. Gasping, I fall to my knees. With a hand clenched around my neck, I glare out of the windows again.

Hayden lays crumpled on his side, panting. Rolling over, he splays out his arms and forces his gaze to mine. Weakly, I begged him to not give up.

“Iris,” I bite, “empty the pool and fill it with the nitrogen from the second floor systems.”

“Emptying will take approximately eight minutes.” Frustrated, I clawed to my feet. My Six — Three — didn’t have eight minutes.

“Deactivate house shields, Iris.”

“House shields cannot be deactivated with Renee Kirkland present.”

Shrieking, I slam my fist to the window. “Dammit, Hayden!”

He was going to lose his life over this! They all were going to lose their lives over this. Shoving my fingers into my hair, I paced back and forth, mumbling to myself.

The machine closed in on Hayden, smiling down at him maliciously. A few days ago, I would’ve given anything to have Charlie back, done anything to see him smile again. Dropping my hands, I let the wish float away from me. My system flared rapidly, roiling desolately within our connection.

“Renee,” I called out, “are you ready?”

She appeared at my side. Her large almond eyes watched me, brimming with unshed tears. Stopping, I stared back with a wane smile.

“This is going to be the last time I ever see you, isn’t it?”

“No.”

“Blue—” she cut herself off, “please don’t lie to me.”

“This will not be the last time I see you, Renee.” The vow leaves my lips before I can stop it. “It’s almost summer, and we can hang out.”

Tears streamed down her face. “Yeah, it’s just a few weeks away. When you’re back in Calderra, call me.”

Iris released the seal on the lift and we stepped inside, jerking when the doors ominously slam shut. Soundlessly we’re pulled upward, heading for the rooftop. Renee’s hand clasped mine as the doors opened, as she shrank behind me under the bright glare of the sun.

Sitting on the center of the roof is a black helicopter, the blades buzz loudly, shredding the air with purpose. Her hand trembles in fear and she stops, her mouth dropping open as she eyes it. Determined to get her out unharmed, I grip an arm around her waist and drag her under the roaring halo and to the door.

No pilot sits behind the controls. The buttons light and flicker, resetting as Iris prepares to take Renee home. Locking eyes with the young girl who adopted me as her friend, I close my arms around her waist and hug her. Desperately, she responds, clinging to me.

“I’ll see you this summer,” she reminded, “you promised.”

“Yeah, nothing will keep me away.” My hand curls around her cheek, wiping away escaping tears. A false smile tugs at my lips, and I fight to keep it in place. She doesn’t need more worries. She shouldn’t know that I may lose everything I’ve ever loved in the next few minutes. “We’ll get ic—”