Chapter 20//Gravity

A/N: Hello readers of my book >:) hehe

Have I built enough suspense yet? >:)

Sorry I've kept you waiting but I'm glad to see you're actually keen to know what happens next.

I had like 42 notifications from all of you voting and commenting and following me and I almost fell of my bed in shock. So thank you all so so much it makes me so happy :))))

Song for this chapter: 'Breakeven' by The Script.

So try and think sad thoughts for this chapter and the next few to come. :'(

Bye bye xx

Chapter 20// Gravity

Emily P.O.V

I tap my pencil against my closed book. I scan around the classroom, everyone's books still open and their heads down low in concentration as they scribble words across the page. I look over at our Humanities teacher as she types on her laptop at the front desk. I glance up to the clock, and bite my lip.

2 minutes until the lunch bell goes.

I spin the pencil between my fingers and keep my eyes on the ticking hands of the white clock.

1 and a half minutes until I can talk to Tori and Seb.

My legs swing back and forth under my chair and I spin my hair around one finger.

1 minute until I can share my excitement about my test results with my friends.

"Alright class," Mrs. Kipley begins as she stands. "You've done some good work today, so I'm going to let you all have an early minute to lunch.

I spring up from my seat with a smile on my face and reach the door before anyone else. I speed walk into the empty hallway and over to my locker. I shove my books and pencil case in, before slamming the door shut as the lunch bell rings and other students begin to flood the halls.

"Miss Fields?" I woman's voice says behind me.

I turn and see the vice principal, her hair pulled back into a tight bun and reading glasses sitting low on her nose.

"Yes?" I tilt my head at the oddness of this event.

What's all this about?

"Your mother rang about 20 minutes ago. I didn't want to interrupt your lesson so she left a message for you. Follow me this way please." She gestures, making sure I'm following her before walking off towards the office.

I follow the click of her low sensible heels against the hard floor. There are a few groups of students crowded at lockers. They watch us as we pass, wondering what sort of trouble I'm in. I anxiously play with the sleeve on my jumper, wanting to be in the cafeteria right now with my friends.

We enter the office and she leads me behind the reception desk. She hands me the phone and I press it to my ear. She taps a button on the machine and the phone beeps. The vice principal leaves as the message plays.

"Hi Emily, it's your mum. I don't want you to worry, but we are down at the hospital. There has..."

There is a pause and I can hear her breathe heavily.

"There has been an accident."

My stomach lets gravity pull it down as a sick feeling sweeps over me.

"Look, it's going to be ok Em, but you should probably come down here. I.....I think he will need you more than anyone."

And the phone beeps to signify the message has ended. I sit on the desk for a moment, breathing heavily as my eyes dart from one corner of the room to the next. My head starts to spin and I wait for gravity to take me falling to the floor.