Incapable

I stood there as they tailored my suit around me.

"Is there anything I can get you, your majesty?" Presley asked.
I shook my head.

The wedding is tomorrow. I had no idea where Nathan was and it's been days. My father avoids me at all costs. I didn't even want to stand here but Presley made me. I'd never felt so much despair before.

"Do you think he's still alive?" I asked softly. I was actually afraid of the answer.
"I like to think so." Presley answered. His optimism kept my heart beating.
"Is this all my fault?"
"No, sire."
"Why do I feel guilty then?"
"Because you are putting all of the weight on yourself. It is not your fault to carry."

"I miss him, Presley." I looked up at him with tears in my eyes.

"I know, your highness."
"Do you not know where he is?"
"That information was kept from me as well, your grace. I haven't a clue."
I hung my head back down.

...

Dinner was served and I didn't partake.

I didn't want to.

I wasn't hungry. I was sad.

There was a knock on my door.

"Yes?" I answered weakly.

The door opened.

"Aspen." my father called.
I buried further under my blanket.
The door closed.
"Aspen, you cannot hide here forever."
I didn't respond.
"Why are you acting like this?"
I felt him come and sit on my bed. I still refused to turn and face him.
"I am doing this for your own safety. How do you expect to live life partaking in such...vile acts. You claimed to be in love with a man. What if word gets out?"
"I wouldn't love him any less." I finally spoke.
"Stop saying things like that." he commanded.
"Things like what? That I love him?"
"Yes. Stop it."
"Why?"
"Because you don't! It's impossible! It's unnatural! And he will not love you back!"
"I don't care."
"He's brainwashed you. And for what? Money? Fame? Food? Comfort? What did you give him?"
"Everything."
"Everything?"
"Everything. I gave him everything. Anything he wanted I was willing to give him."
"And that is where you went wrong."
"But he never asked."

No response.

"He never asked me to give him anything. He never demanded I give him anything. Sometimes I'd try and he'd turn it down. Other times when I gave him something he gave me something else in return that to me had the same value. But we preferred each other's company over anything."
"Aspen."
"We had picnics. We rode around on horseback. He'd help me around the castle, not because I asked but because he wanted to and he was stronger than me."
"HE HAD TO DO THOSE THINGS!"
"NO, HE DIDN'T!" I shouted back and finally looked at him. "ALL HE HAD TO DO WAS PROTECT ME! HE DIDN'T HAVE TO MAKE ME HAPPY! HE DIDN'T HAVE TO MAKE SURE EVERYTHING WAS FAIR BETWEEN THE WORKERS! HE DIDN'T HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF ME WHEN I WAS INJURED! HE DIDN'T HAVE TO WIPE THE TEARS ON MY FACE THAT YOU CAUSED! HE JUST HAD TO PROTECT ME!"
He turned his head.
"You will be over it soon." he swore.
"If he dies I will hate you until you cross to the other side with him and on past then."
"You say that now but in the future you'll thank me. Because I was there to bring you back to your right state of mind."

He got up and walked to the door then disappeared behind it.

I laid back down and let my tears slide.

____________________________________

The sun shone through and Presley stood there like he usually does.

"Good morning, your majesty. Lady Sofia has made it and is currently occupying the other side of the castle. I must note to you that you are not allowed to see her before the wedding."
"I didn't want to anyway." I said and rolled over away from the sun.
"I know you are not thrilled, my prince, but please make the best out of it."
"I am incapable, Presley."

He sighed then went into my wardrobe and grabbed my suit for today.

"Please stand, sir."
I lacked the energy but I tried.

He began dressing me in this dazzling attire. I couldn't help but wonder what Nathan would think of it. Would he call me pretty? Handsome? Would he kiss my face and smile?

After I was dressed, Presley combed my hair back and out of my face.

"You look very handsome, sire."
It wasn't the same.
"Thank you, Presley."

...

I completely disregarded the rule that I could not step foot outside. I went to the horse's stables.

When I got there, Max made a fuss. He neighed loudly and jumped around while Snow nudged me.

"What's the matter with the both of you?" I wondered.

Max continued.
"Shhh, boy, what's wrong?" I asked sweetly and he let me pet him before he went back to it. I assumed it was to let me know he wasn't upset with me but something was indeed wrong.
"I don't know what you're trying to tell me. Are you sad? I wish he was here too, baby, I'm sorry."
He nudged me with his nose.
"I don't understand..." I stated.

"YOUR HIGHNESS!" Presley called from behind me.
"COMING!" I shouted.
I kissed both steeds on their noses then went on my way inside. They took off running together.

"Hm. Guess they had somewhere to be." I joked to myself.

I made it inside to see all of the decorations. Maids decorated the seats and hung ribbons and bows everywhere. There were flowers at any direction I looked. It looked like a wedding threw up in here.

"Sire, the chefs would like for you to try their three cake options so you could pick the one you prefer for today."
"I did this yesterday." I stated.
"Yes, well...just follow me."

He pushed me into the second kitchen.

Lucas, Mary, and Creed all stood in the kitchen.

"What is the meaning of this?"
"We know you're upset so..." they had made a large breakfast full of my favorites. "We made breakfast!"

"How kind of you." I smiled.

"We know this isn't what you wanted." Creed stated. I looked at Lucas and Mary.
"Oh, we already know. Nathan isn't necessarily the most subtle man on the planet." Mary stated and Lucas nodded. "He asked about you all the time, like 'do you think Prince Aspen is busy?' 'Do you think Prince Aspen would like these flowers' 'Do you think I should quickly bathe before Prince Aspen arrives? I want him to think I smell good'. He's very sweet but we got pretty suspicious. Turns out we were right." she giggled.
"Oh..."
I felt giddy and fluttery at his questions.
"Oh, full support, by the way!" she added.
I smiled.

"Let's eat." Lucas insisted.
"Uhh, Do not eat the omelettes, your majesty. Creed made them and he has not yet mastered the art of cracking an egg without adding the shell to the bowl." Presley stated and they all snickered.