Welcome

"Here you are. This will be your resting place for the six months that my father will be gone." I stated as I opened the door.

He walked inside and examined the room. It had already been decorated with red and gold accents. It had a lamp, few candles, and a chair near the window. The curtains hung high and proud. The thick blankets were covered in beautiful designs and also red and gold. His room was almost similar to mine except it were smaller and my room was white with hints of lavender and silver.

It had been quite some time since Nathan had shown up at the castle and I had yet to hear him speak. He mostly stood there until spoken to, bowed, looked around in awe, or just nodded.

"Nathan..." I called and put my hands behind my back.
He turned away from his nightstand and looked at me.
"Do you speak at all?" I wondered. He looked back down at the stand.
"I don't mean to be rude, it's just that..."

"I prefer to be quiet." he answered.

Such a deep voice. Another reason to now feel less than him. My voice was that of a prepubescent little boy. I am a grown man and sound like a 14 year old when I speak. The townsfolk never believe me when I tell them my age. They've believed I was 18 for the past 5 years. When I was 16 they believed I was 12.

"Why is that?" I asked and stepped closer to him as he observed the room.

He felt the blankets on the bed.

"Am I intruding?" I wondered sweetly. I hoped to not be bothering him but father did say welcome him as a friend and Nathan was oddly quiet for such an intimidating specimen.

"No, sir." he answered.

I laughed softly. Not to make fun of him but I thought it was entertaining to have a man who would probably be considered twice my size calling me 'sir'.

"Can you look at me, Nathan? I would like to see your eyes when I speak to you. My father told me king's must speak to their people with listening eyes. I want you to know I mean you no harm. I just want to know more."

He turned around and looked down at me. Our eyes met.

"So, why do you prefer to keep quiet?" I asked nicely.
"..."
"..."

We just stared at each other for a few seconds. I assumed he was gathering his thoughts to answer.

"You are a very pretty man." he stated. He looked at me like he was examining me like some recently discovered being.

I looked at him in shock.

"Your hand is soft. Very kind." he continued.
"Do you like my hands, Nathan?" I held out one of them.

He looked away from me.

I snickered.
"You're very strange." I told him.
He looked at me like he couldn't tell if he should be offended or not.
"I don't mean it in a bad way. It's just that...your occupation is so brutal and harsh but you seem very gentle and shy."
His hand grabbed onto the blankets and he looked back at it.
"I hope I am not making you uncomfortable? That's the last thing I'd wish to do..." I stated truthfully.

He didn't seem as bad as I imagined him to be. I pictured him to be a hard ass that sleeps on the cement floors or yells like a brute. His voice is deep but it isn't loud. A very gentle seeming giant.

"I am not uncomfortable." he answered.
"You're refusing to look at me again."
He turned to face me.
"You never answered my question. Why do you prefer to be quiet? Do you not like your voice? Personally, I think it fits you." I smiled.
"I don't want to bother anyone." he claimed.
"Bother anyone? What do you mean?"
"I speak in battle or in training. That's where it's easy and is more fitting."

I stood and listened to him.

"I am not smart. I can't speak like you do. I don't know what to say to the things you say. I don't know what some of them mean. I'd rather not speak or else it comes out wrong and you realize I'm dumb and less than you."
"This has happened to you before?"
He nodded.

I appreciated that his eyes never left me.

"I like your voice. I think it's cool. You should speak more often. I don't care about your education, but if it bothers you, and since you'll be here for such a long time, I can teach you."

He looked interested in the idea.

"How far educated do you believe you are?"
He looked confused.
"Can you read?" I fixed the question.
"Small words."
"Okay, I assume you can also only write small words?"
He nodded.
"Are any of the men you've gone to war with educated?"
He shook his head.
"No? None?"
He looked up as he thought.
"I am insure...they are from different places but they don't speak like you and King Elias."
"The word is 'unsure'. You are 'unsure'."

He looked like that made him sad.

"It's okay, you were close and that's what truly matters. I appreciate that you tried. So have you been going long without speaking to many people?"
"I talk for markets and at training..."
"I guess that means you trust me. I don't want you to be scared to speak to me. We're friends now and friends converse."
"Converse..."
"We speak to each other and hold conversations."
"I see..."
"Your vernacular isn't terrible, do you speak better than you write?"
"I pick up things I hear other people say and I repeat them how they did."
"That's very smart. That means you would like to be better."
He nodded. "You lose jobs if you can't talk like everybody else. I need work."
"Then you will work here until you feel comfortable."
He nodded again.
"Can I ask you one more question, Nathan?"
He waited patiently for it.
"I'll assume that's a yes." I snickered. "Why aren't you educated?"

He looked away from me again.

"Would you like to wait to answer?" I questioned.
He nodded.
"Okay. That is fine. Do you have any questions for me?"
"What do I call you?" he asked curiously.
"Aspen is fine."
"I can't do that." he argued.
"Why can't you?"
"It is not nice."
"It's very nice, it's my name."
"No. It is not..." he searched his brain for the word he was missing.

"Do you believe it isn't respectful?" I thought it was precious how he tried.
He nodded.
"It is only disrespectful if I did not give you the permission. As your friend, I do not expect you to call me 'sir'. Aspen is fine and I shall call you Nathan. Is that okay?"
He nodded.
"Great. Dinner should be prepared soon, do you believe you will be staying to attend?"
"Umm..."
"I'd be grateful if you did."
He nodded.
"Good. And, as your friend, I'll bring you on a tour of the castle so you are better acquainted."

"Acquainted..." he repeated.
"It is to make you more familiar with the environment. I would like for you to be comfortable here and know where everything is. Yes?"
He nodded again.
Adorable.