Uneducated

After I showed Nathan around, Presley let it be known that dinner was ready. I brought Nathan to the dining hall so that we could eat.

"Good evening, father." I greeted.
"Evening, Aspen. Nathan."
Nathan bowed like he had earlier.

We sat.

"Have you decided when you'll be leaving?" I asked my father as the food was brought out.
"Tomorrow."
"Tomorrow?" I repeated.
"Yes."
"Father, you told me you'd be taking leave this morning and you're already leaving by tomorrow?!"
"You will be fine, Aspen."
"You're making me a king overnight, I absolutely will not be fine."
"Aspen, we will not be discussing this any further. You will carry out your duties and accept the trials and tribulations that come along with it. I do not want to hear anything else about it." he grunted.

I looked down at my plate as the servers filled it.

How dare he do this to me? I've had zero preparation. All I have is the workers in this castle and Nathan. What on Earth could he possibly do besides punch a hole through a wall? Maybe Presley will be of assistance.

For the rest of the dinner I didn't speak. My father spoke to Nathan and, like I expected, Nathan answered in small sentences that couldn't give away the fact that he was uneducated. If he had trouble thinking of a word then he pretended like he was pondering hard on the question.

Afterwards, Nathan had to return home to gather his belongings. He'd be back come morning. I escaped off into my room to get ready for bed and not have to listen to my father.

"Would you like tea before you go to sleep, sir?" Presley asked as he stepped into my room.
"That would be great, Presley. Thank you."
He bowed and left to grab it.

I sat up and attempted to read my book. I placed it onto my knees and raised them so it's closer to my face.

As I read I realized...
Perhaps, I could use this to see how well Nathan can read? Maybe I should be coming up with a curriculum for him.

I took out a piece of paper and pen to begin writing down ideas for tomorrow. Hopefully, that isn't too soon.

Presley came in with my teacup on a small platter.

"Here you are, sir." He placed it on my nightstand. "Is there anything else I can help you with before I take my leave, your highness?"
"Presley?" I called as I grabbed my tea and sipped.
"Yes, your majesty?"
"How does one teach?" I asked.
"I beg your pardon?"
"Nathan. You do know who Nathan is, right, Presley?"
"Yes, sir. He is the quiet gentleman that is your guard to be."
"Well, Nathan has lacked an education and I promised that I would teach him. However, I do not know the first thing about being a teacher. Is there a certain aspect that I should start with first?" I sipped my tea.
"Well, your majesty, I did used to be a teacher. Perhaps, I can help him?" he offered.
"Oh, Presley, that'd be wonderful! He is very adamant on getting an education. Something about work and whatnot."
"I am happy to help, sir." he smiled.
"Great! Is there a preferable time that you would like to begin working?" I asked.
"The mornings are preferred, I am quite busy throughout the day with helping around the castle."
"Mornings it is." I smiled gleefully.
"Get some rest, young master. We shall discuss the rest come daytime."

He took my tea and placed it onto the nightstand next to my bed. He then grabbed my book and placed it next to the teacup.

"Goodnight, sire." he said and turned off my lamp.
"Goodnight, Presley."

____________________________________

The next morning, I was woken up by the sun shining past my curtains.

Presley had opened them to let the daylight in.

"Good morning, your highness."
"Good morning." I yawned.
"Sir Nathan should be on his way." Presley stated as he went through my wardrobe.

He grabbed today's attire and placed it onto my bed.

"Great, we shall get started as soon as he arrives and is situated with his belongings. Do you know what time father leaves?" I asked as I stood out of bed.
"He should leave sometime this evening. Before the sun sets, your highness."

I stripped down and spread my arms out for Presley to dress me.

"Presley, what do you know about Sir Nathan?"

"Well, I know he is very respected in our military. He is strong. He is not like a good bit of our other military men. He is respectful and gentle."
He bent down so I could step into my pants.
"I heard he is a war hero for whatever reason."
"So you do not know what happened either?" I asked in confusion.
"No, sir. That was not to be shared outside of the battlefield."
"I see..."

He slipped my jacket over my long sleeve shirt and began to button it. He attached the necessary bells and whistles then I put on my socks and shoes.

"Breakfast should be ready. I believe you have a variety of French toast, omelettes, and berries to choose from this morning."
"Choosing only one out of my favorites? How cruel." I snickered.

We left my room and headed to the dining hall.

...

"This is delicious. Presley, please make sure to tell Madam Maria that she did an excellent job with the French toast this morning." I smiled.
"Yes, your highness." he bowed and sashayed off and into the kitchen.

"Prince Aspen?" called one of the servants.
"Yes, Daniel?"

I make it a habit to memorize all of their names. I know all 110 of them by heart. I refuse to let them believe I don't cherish them greatly. Once a month I even hold a celebration for them, similar to a gala. My father says every job is worthy of respect, praise, and admiration. No one is less than anyone unless their integrity has proven such.

"Sir Nathan has arrived."

I stood out of my seat. "Do you know if he's eaten yet?"
"No, sir, I do not."

I walked with Daniel towards the front of the castle and outside to greet Nathan.

He stood next to his horse as he fed it a long carrot.

"Good morning, Nathan." I smiled.
He bowed.
"We've been through this. There's no need for such formality. Daniel, please take Sir Nathan's steed to the stables."
"Yes, your highness." he nodded and did as instructed.

"Nathan, where are your belongings?" I asked curiously. All he had was a sack he had slung over his shoulder.
He removed it and held it out at me.

"Is that all?"
He nodded.
"Hm. That won't do. I'll have someone take your measurements and gather more clothing or materials to make more."
"No, this is fine." he finally spoke.
"Your humility is refreshing but I simply can't have you with such little attire. You'll be here for months. Come now, you should eat and then we'll start your schooling." I gestured inside.