UNEXPECTED

U N E X P E C T E D"i hate you, too

U N E X P E C T E D
"i hate you, too."

I HATE HIM AND EVERYTHING
about him. I hate the way he can make everyone laugh before I can and the way he can impress everyone more than I can.

  I'm aware that it's childish to be so competitive with your enemy, especially in your twenties. But you have to understand where I'm coming from.

  Our rivalry dates way back to senior year, when I was a new transfer student at Drew's school. I hated how he outsmarted me in almost every assignment, and I hated how arrogant he was about it.

  When we graduated, I thought I'd never have to see him again. Man, was I wrong.

  When I booked a role on the TV show Outerbanks, I did not expect to see Drew Starkey on the cast in the slightest. Almost ten years later, and our rivalry started back up again, but this time worse than ever.

As of right now, I was walking home from set after filming, as we filmed today only a mere few blocks from my apartment. The rain was heavily pouring, and unfortunately I didn't bring an umbrella because I wasn't expecting the rain.

  I got permission from Jonas to go home early, as I really needed to be alone. Starkey and I had gotten in yet another heated argument that went a little too far. I guess we never realized that our arguments could affect others. I never realized how words could hurt—even from your enemy.

  "Y/n!" I hear a voice yell, but I don't bother acknowledging it because I know who it is, but I don't want to talk to them.

  "Will you please just stop walking for one second?" Drew said, his voice rather angry.

  "I have nothing to say to you." I said, continuing walking when Drew's footsteps approached closer.

  "Do you think I have anything to say to you, either?"

  "Then why are you here?" I snapped, turning around just as Drew reached an arms reach away from me.

  He stayed silent, the only sound coming from the rain pattering on the ground and trees surrounding us. My hair was now soaking wet, as well as the clothes sticking to my body. Drew's hair was soaked, his clothes almost there.

  I rolled my eyes, and muttered a "thought so", before turning around.

  "You can't act like everything said back there was all my fault! You know, you said some pretty shitty things too." He said, frustration evident in his voice.

  I scoffed. "You sure know how to make someone angry, don't you?"

  "So you're just gonna deny everything you said?"

  "I never said anything about that! God, you know I was willing to give you a chance when I found out you were on the cast. But you are worse than you were in high school." I groaned, really just wanting to get away from him as he stepped closer.

  "Speak for yourself, all I've tried to do is get you to like me, but you're way too stubborn to see that. But guess what? I'm done. I'm fucking done playing your games." He said, his voice growing angrier by the second, all while subconsciously stepping closer to me.

  "Fine by me. No wonder Amanda broke up with you." I said, immediately regretting it though.

  "That was low and you know it was." Drew said, his voice hurt with anger. Amanda is his ex girlfriend, who he loved so much. By now we were so close to each other, that I was close enough to count each individual eyelash of his, close enough to feel each other's breath, close enough to kiss.

  I do know it was low. I feel ashamed, all I want to do is to never show my face again to him. At this point, I can't tell the difference between my tears and the rain, and I'm hoping that Drew can't either.

  "I hate you." Drew frustratedly said, before doing the most unexpected thing.

  He smashed his lips onto mine, oh-so-passionately catching me off guard. Though I don't pull away.

  He cups my face in his hands, brushing the soaking wet hair out of my face.

  The kiss is perfect. Which is weird, because I'm kissing my enemy since the twelfth grade. But I'm loving it. I'm loving every second of it, and I hate that I love it.

  I realize now that I don't hate him. I hate the fact that I don't hate him—not even a little bit, not even at all.

  The kiss turned into a full on make out. It felt all too surreal—kissing an enemy in the rain after a heated fight. It felt all too much like a movie.

  Eventually pulling away and both of us out of breath, he presses his forehead to mine.

  "I hate you too." I mutter, causing him to smile and lean in for another kiss.