Chapter 7.

I ran back into the Autobot Hangar and paused in the open doorway. My room was located on one side in the far back, Ratchet's quarters sat opposite from there, where I had ran back from. I glanced around the upper center, towards the rest of the building.
The entire area was completely empty, except for Sideswipe and the sets of twins. They were all talking amongst themselves, not noticing me. The human soldiers and workers have all left the building for their other duties, so no one was inside except the other bots.
Optimus. I need to talk to him. They were right, I was depressed about a situation that hasn't happened, yet. I have questions and problems we need to discuss. I can do this.
The hangar doors were wide open and I can see the plane tarmac. There standing in the opening was a tall dark and familiar figure.

Optimus.

His shadowed figure seemed to be looking up at the sky and watching the stars. I walked past everyone, to avoid conversation, and quietly made my way to him. Optimus had his back faced away from me, but they way he stood was bothersome. He's always stood quite tall, but his shoulders and head seemed kinda slouched. I never seen him this way, I don't think anyone has.

"Where did I go wrong?" He had muttered to himself.
Oh, no! He never talks to himself out loud! Oh, god! Do I come back later or stay put?! I was scared that I came at a bad time, but my damned curiosity made me stay.
"I should have known better. Hm." He sulked more, my heart tore for him and I decided to speak.
Why?! Why, Kia?!
"Optimus?" I asked quietly, scuffing the concrete with my boots to make him more aware of my presence.
Optimus straightened up quickly and turned around, looking down where I stood by his feet.
"Kiaria?" He sounded surprised and backed away slightly. "Apologies, I did not realize you were there."
"O-Optimus? I-I'm sorry, is this a bad time? I shouldn't have intruded. Maybe I should go." I grew nervous and started to make my escape back.
"Kia. No, please, stay. Please, stay with me." He asked, stopping me dead in my tracks.
I turned around and faced him, tears in my eyes at his words. Begging me the one thing I would always do for the Autobot.
"Ok, I'll stay."
He crouched and offered a hand, I crawled into it and he lifted me to eye level. "Are you alright? I haven't seen you all week. Major Lennox was even asking about you." He said, examining my face.
"I'm...I don't know..." I said sheepishly, wiping my nose. "I've just been thinking a lot this whole time."
"I see." He hummed in concern. "May I ask what is on your mind?"
"I...well...uh..." I fiddled with my fingers.
The thoughts of the meeting and my talk with my uncles had me in a mess and tears poured down harder than before.
"Kia?"
"Do you not trust me?" I sobbed as the question bursted out of me.
"Pardon?"
"Do you not trust me? Am I in the way? Would you leave me behind because you can't fix me?"
His eyes dart around in a daze as he processed my question and he slowly glanced back at me, his head slightly jolted upright.
"Kiaria, do you think of yourself a burden? Do you think you can't be trusted? Do you think I wish to leave you for such ludicrous reasons?"
"Maybe."
"Why would you think such things? What, or who, caused you to think that?"
I squirmed awkwardly as I cried.
"Kiaria?"

"You." I admitted. "You did."

Those words hit me hard, but not as hard as him. I didn't want to hurt his feelings, but I wasn't quite sure if that was possible either. Optimus leaned back a little and thought to himself again, his eyes shifted back and forth, not saying anything for a hot minute. So, I continued my confession in efforts to explain myself.
"It was at the meeting when the director asked you those questions. You didn't hesitate on it, you didn't even look at me. So, I thought you didn't even think about me, that you didn't care. That Director Galloway was right, that I can't be trusted and you don't..." I couldn't finish as my lips trembled extremely.
Because of how I felt about the others, I felt about him, too. I realized that when I told Ratchet and Ironhide I loved them. It's because I did. That's why I was hurting. I loved Optimus so much, I look up to him and everything. I just never told him and if I do, I feared he wouldn't understand the meaning. He's different that way and that he wouldn't feel the same about me. That he didn't love me, like my mother didn't. When he hesitated, it almost confirmed these new growing fears.

"Kia, my apologies. My intention was not to hurt you and I should've been more sensitive to your situation." He started. "I do not understand human emotions and meanings very well. There are so many, be it that some are similar to our own, but they intend to fluctuate and change more frequently."
I kept crying as I tried to listen, my heart pounded in my ears.
"That is one of the purposes of our agreement to care for you. To have a better understanding and the compassion to care for you physically and mentally. You, however, are unique and I unfortunately can not comprehend your emotions or motives. They always change, more than often regarding your episodes. More so, you know how to hide the ones we need to see the most, or hoped to see."

"I think...I think it's because I don't understand them myself, Optimus." I realized aloud and sobbed harder. "My previous family never taught me, or gave, any good examples for me to cling on to. I've already told you that before."

I was honest about that. All I've known was fear, hatred, anger, and despair. All these new emotions are now suddenly appearing and I'm frightened by what they're doing to me because I can not understand them.

"I see." Optimus hummed in deep thought.
"That is why I urge you to communicate more, Kiaria. So we can help each other. So I can help you and your issues with the humans. I see so much potential in you, more than the other humans I've witnessed. I see and believe the good in them and it's the same with you. Despite, your previous family showing you nothing of mercy and peace, I only wish to learn to provide that for you."
I stopped sobbing and thought about his words. He does care.
"Thank you." Was all I could manage. "I'm sorry."
"I am as well, young one." He spoke gently and leaned his face closer to me.
I sighed softly between my slowly dying sobs and hugged what I could of his face. His metal felt cold and warm, it was comforting at best. We sat there like that for a good two minutes and I wanted to say something else before Optimus spoke again.
"Kiaria."
"Yes?" I lifted myself off him, forgetting my thoughts, and glanced upwards.
"Forgive me, again, but I can not join you for our time tomorrow, for I must leave again." He said, rather downhearted.
"Oh." I looked down at my feet. "I understand. I'll wait here as usual and—"

"Therefore, you shall join me instead."

"What?" I gasped and my head shot up. "I thought I wasn't allowed to leave the base? What if Major Lennox, or the other humans, get angry? Not that I care, but, it could effect us."
"I will speak on your behalf if they question it. I want you by my side from now on. In the future, once you're more older, that will be a more serious change I intend to apply to our agreement."
"Alright." Was all I could say. I wanted to squeal that he was willing to do something like this. To rebel against a minor protocol from the humans.
"This will be your first test. I have an ally I wish to speak to and I request you to comply. He is joined by a fellow Autobot, our scout Bumblebee, whom you have not been introduced to, yet. Bumblebee serves as our ally's guardian. Something is coming and I want you prepared to help."

"Wait? You don't mean..."

"Yes. The one I speak of is a human." Optimus said seriously. "Your training will be finally deemed as paid off, for your first assignment is to also guard his life. I fear fate has crossed our paths for something bigger than scattered Decepticons."
"The Fallen shall rise again." I murmured the message from the meeting.
My stomach felt knotted and jumpy. Something didn't feel right and I really didn't like the idea of having to help guard a human. However, I wanted to prove to Optimus he could trust me. Granted, I'm only ten years old and has been secretly trained under a highly skilled military alien force, but I wanted to show that I can attempt to trust someone else, too. That I can prove about much I care about the Autobots. How much I love them. How much I love my guardian, Optimus, without having to tell him.
They are my home.
They are my family.
I love them like I've never loved before, they were my new reason to survive. My fortunate light at the end of the tunnel, when all my hope was lost. I vowed to myself at that moment, to protect and fight with the Autobots until the day I die. Nothing and no one was going to stand in my way.

"I'll do it." I said strongly to him and shot him a serious look.