"I was just thinking that we need this to work out," I spoke slowly.

She nodded a bit, chewing on her lower lip in thought, a habit I noticed she was forming.

"Why are you so determined to help me?"

I wasn't surprised that she'd ask that but I wasn't ready to answer. Even I don't know why I'm doing it.

"Would you prefer if I didn't?"

"That's not what I asked," she said softly in response to my question.

I sighed, "I don't know. You just seemed like the kind of person who would do well with us."

"Is that your final answer?"

I looked into her eyes, trying to read her expression and failing. What do I say?

"Yeah.."

"Okay," she answered without hesitation, pulling her hand away from my grip and letting it rest on her lap, "what do you want me to do then?"

It was that easy?

I felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders, but just as soon as I thought that I looked over at her. She had a somber expression on her face, her hands resting on her lap as she locked her fingers together.

I hadn't seen her look this defeated before and I wondered what the reason for that could be.

The best option was for her to join us, show Slenderman she could be an asset by offering him souls, and in that she would gain his protection. The second best was to make a deal with chaos incarnate to protect her instead.

Zalgo.

He was only second best because one never knew what to expect from him. If he didn't think it would be entertaining for him, he won't go through the trouble of helping at all. He was the only person who's powers were on par with Slenderman's and because of that, only he could help if option one was a fail.

"I want you to try."

She looked at me as I spoke, her brows furrowed,"what do you mean?"

"When I ask you to do something don't just argue with me. At least try. You know I'm trying to help you so can you at least do that for me?"

She went back to chewing on her lower lip, looking down at her interlocked fingers before letting out a sigh.

"Okay, I can do that."

The full moon was directly overhead when Amy reported that she was too tired to keep driving. We had been driving for about six hours already but I wasn't convinced she was that tired. Kit gave me a dirty look when I suggested she keep going for another two hours and they started searching for somewhere we could stop to rest.

I would have been fine with sleeping in the car.

About ten minutes later we passed by a lone house off the highway, the long driveway was sparsely lit and though it was sizeable there were no lights on inside. After finding somewhere to park, we then piled out of the car.

"N-nice," Toby commented as he stretched, bringing his hatchet out and taking a few practice swings.

"You guys are really planning on killing people again?"

I looked over at Kit, my own hand gripping the crowbar I was planning to use.

"D-duh," Toby answered matter-of-factly.

"We can't exactly ask them for lodging can we?" Amy said, coming to the rescue, "they've probably seen our faces all over the news already."

When Kit didn't seem convinced, Amy took her hand, pulling her up the driveway.