T W E N T Y-O N E

Start from the beginning

"You are not alone but we have to tackle them as it comes. Pasupathi is already at the garrison looking into the matter, so we don't have to worry too much on it. Our next immediate sore is the prince of Durja." Parthiban gave a reassuring tap on his shoulder and noticed Nathan had remained quiet.

"Fine, station a few guards at the ashram and have them keep an eye on him... You should know better; I'll leave it to you as long as you can handle. Let me focus on Abhimanyu. There must be a way to stop this madness." Nakul mumbled away as he stepped out to the balcony, inhaling the fresh air.

The sky had turned dark and the last few flocks of bird flew away to find shelter for the night. The gales of little giggles coming from the garden below caught his attention and instantly the sight put a smile on his tired face. His wife, Kamini and his three children were walking back to the palace, indulging in what could be an interesting chat. He was indeed blessed to have a partner like Kamini; loving, brilliant, caring and outspoken. She has been his conscience whenever his decision wavered.

His thought then shifted to Nakshathra and Abhimanyu. Will his sister continue to luxuriate in her freedom with Abhimanyu in the future? As far as he has his insight on Abhimanyu, he was an irresponsible prince and highly addicted to women and firewater. Nakshathra will have to run behind him, keep him in check—like a babysitter?

"I would like to add another matter on your worry basket." Parthiban stood next to him and turned around so he could see both Nathan and Nakul.

"What is it?"

"Do you want to guess who asked me to meet Dhruva in the first place?"

Nathan who had been the silent all the while jumped on his feet enthusiastically. "Now that you asked, I have a wild guess."

"Who?" asked the older brother, impatiently.

"Our dear sister, Nakshathra," answered Parthiban.

"Does she know who him?"

"No, he had concealed his identity to everyone but exposed it to me. Good thing, he doesn't know about Nakshathra either. Not sure how Nakshathra managed to do that, she maintains her identity as 'the physician'." Parthiban was on his way to the door as he spoke. "So, there's nothing much to be worried. I'll get going. Have a good rest."

Nakul shook his head in a silent contemplation while twisting his lips to one side. "God, what is going on here?"

**--***--***--**

As much as she had tried to control herself, curiosity had taken the best of her. The next morning, she woke up early and headed to greet Parthiban, first thing in the morning. But it was Ahalya who answered the door, "Came to meet your brother?" her question taunted Nakshathra. There was no greeting nor the warm smile she often displayed.

Aware of the crude treatment, Nakshathra tried to make peace with her sulking sister-in-law. "I'm sorry, I did not come to meet you after that day but I have been busy with the arogyalaya and the camps. But I'll come see you later in the evening." She engulfed Ahalya in a tight embrace, Nakshathra made sure there were no more scowling on her face.

"Fine, let me go! You are choking me!" Nakshathra earned a light slap on her arm before Ahalya made her way out of the room. "You are a master in pacifying."

Nakshathra smiled wide although unsure if the statement was a praise or a taunt. Nevertheless, she took it positively. "We need to make peace with all because peace makes our life happy, anni."

"Ever since you started meditating, you have been sounding like a sage. The princess who speaks wise words."

"Oh, don't make me a saint. I'm not even close to one."