Jealousy, Jealousy

The Gryffindor common room, though mostly known for parties and as a good place to hang out, is also a great spot to meet with friends and finish up schoolwork you've all left until the last minute. The room was used for that tonight, with James and I working on our homework for Charms class. Lily had already finished, of course, and refused to help us this time. 

"Well what did you say for that one?" James asked me about a particular question we were stuck on. 

"I didn't really know, so I just-" I started, but was interrupted by the sound of someone walking in.

Both James and I looked over to see who it was. I was scared it was a professor like McGonagall coming to tell us it was past curfew, but was relieved to see who it actually was. 

Regulus walked in carrying a few pieces of paper and a quill. I figured he was in the same situation as me and James, and came in for Charms help. 

"Regulus!" I beamed, and he sent me a smile in return.

"How did you get in here?" James asked, confused, even though I knew how.

"I know all the passwords to your common room." Regulus explained. "Just in case."

"Alright." James muttered, turning back to his homework sheet. 

"Are you here because you left the homework until now too?" I asked.

"You know it." Regulus said. 

He sat down next to me on the empty seat across the couch, with both of us now sitting across from James, who was partially laying down on, or honestly, practically sprawled across his chair. 

"I always leave this shit until way too late, and then I get jealous of everyone in the class for having better answers than me." Regulus confessed. 

"Oh, everyone's always jealous. Like, all the time. I promise." James spoke up. 

"What?" I asked. I was confused by his comment. I'm not just jealous all the time. Maybe lately has been an exception, but I haven't always been jealous. 

Regulus seemed to be confused too, as he looked like he was puzzled but trying not to show it. Typical Regulus, honestly. Typical Black. That entire family is too proud of themselves. 

"I mean, really, when are you not comparing yourself to someone else?" James asked us. 

I'm sure it was a rhetorical question, but I still tried to think of an answer. The fact that I really couldn't think surpised me. I'm constantly comparing myself to other people. It's everyone, really, everyone from Aunt Hazel to Remus. 

"Really, like everyone is always comparing themselves to someone else. Not me, though." James bragged. "Too many people are jealous of me."

"Yeah, like who?" I asked. 

"Snivellus, to start. That bastard has been jealous of me from day one, and it's even more now that Lily and I are together."

"He's right." Regulus said to me, then he turned to look at James. "Maybe not about everyone always being jealous all the time, but Severus is insanely jealous of you. He knows all your friends are so cool and you hang out everynight. He wants to be you so bad."

James turned to me, smirking and pointing at Regulus to show that his point was proven. 

"But, he's wrong about everyone being jealous all the time. I'm not. I'm never jealous." Regulus told us. 

"I am." I spoke up. "I'm always comparing myself to other people, and it's rarely in a positive way. Comparison is killing me slowly, it really is. Everytime I see someone, all I see is what I should be; Happier, prettier, jealousy, jealousy."

There was an awkward silence for a moment, neither of them knowing what to say. James clearly wanting to brag about his point being proven, but knowing how to read a room. And Regulus staring at me, nothing but pity on his face. 

Fuck, I hated that. I don't need anyone's pity. I'm fine. 

"I hate it every time I have to admit it," I said, breaking the silence and trying to change the conversation. "but James is right."

"Thank you." James said humbly. "Now what question were we on?"

a/n: Rose opening up a bit, that's something

a/n: Rose opening up a bit, that's something. Also, I know that the song is more like being jealous of people because of societal expectations and shit, but I don't care, the lyrics fit with my idea, so I wrote it anyway. Ok, I'll be back soon with new chapters (getting angstier by the moment) and hopefully you guys will like them too.

Don't forget to vote and comment, it really does mean a lot, and I'll see you soon!