𝑌𝐸𝐴𝑅 𝑂𝑁𝐸 ☆ 10

"Ron! Harry! Come Here! There's something I need you to see!"

She moved between to boys' beds, taking the covers off of both of them so that they both sat up. They both had tousled hair and half-open eyes.

"What is is Rosie?" Ron said.

"What do you want us to-" Harry started.

"There's something you need to see!" She yelled, making them both jump.

She willed them to be quiet all the way along the corridor, and once they were through the door, she ripped the cloak off and said. "Come on look! Come! It's our parents Harry!"

She placed the two infront of the mirror, but was frustrated by their responses.

"I only see us."

Rosalyn growled under her breath and shoved Harry out of the way, saying to Ron, "Come on, stand there," His eyes widened. "You see them don't you-"

"That's me!" He burst out. "And I'm head boy! And I'm holding the quidditch cup, and, bloody hell! I'm quidditch captain too!"

Harry put himself in front of the mirror as Ron asked Rosalyn. "Does this mirror show the future?"

"How can it?" She asked sadly, though she didn't beg an answer. "Our parents are dead."

"I see them too," Harry said softly. "It's our mum and dad, you look just like her, Rosalyn, and I look like our dad." Rosalyn smiled but became sombre only a few seconds later. This was very bittersweet.

Over the next few days, Rosalyn spent her nights sat in front of the mirror. She just wanted to see her parents. People had told her over the years that she looked just like her mother, but had her father's eyes. She had never understood them, until now.

But, one night, she had an unexpected visit. Albus Dumbledore had been staring at the transfixed girl for at least a minute, when he spoke.

"Back again, I see, Rosalyn?"

Rosalyn could not have been more shocked. Had her headmaster been watching her all this time? Would he know what she had been looking at? What was going to happen to her? Or the mirror?

She turned round as Dumbledore explained. "You, like so many before you, have discovered the delights of the Mirror of Erised. I trust by now you realise what it does?" Even though she spent almost every night looking into it, Rosalyn was ashamed to admit she still didn't know what it did, but she was about to be told. "I'll give you a clue, the happiest man on earth could looked into this mirror and see himself, unchanged, just the same as he was."

She kind of understood. "So it shows us what we want? Whatever we want?"

"No, and yes, it shows us nothing more, nothing less, than the deepest desire of our hearts."

Of course! Rosalyn understood now. She thought about everything, then looked at the mirror. Erised, the mirror of Erised! That was desire backwards, and the lettering. I show not your face but your heart's desire! It all made sense now, but she would have to endure what was to come.

"But Rosalyn, this mirror shows us neither knowledge, nor truth. Men and women have wasted away infront of it, even though what they see, they will probably never get. Which is why this mirror is going to be moved to a new home, from tomorrow. I must ask you not to go looking for it. It does not do to dwell on dreams Rosalyn, and forget to live your life."

Defeated, the unhappy girl left the room, but not before asking. "Professor, what do you see when you look into the mirror?"

"I, Rosalyn? Why, I see myself holding a pair of thick woollen socks."