𝑌𝐸𝐴𝑅 𝑂𝑁𝐸 ☆ 5

The next morning, Rosalyn found herself sitting in Transfiguration next to Hermione. A tabby cat was sat on the desk, watching them all and she presumed that that was Professor McGonagall's pet.

Harry and Ron were the only students that weren't there, she noticed, and chuckled softly when she realised that it was a race, would they get there first, or would McGonagall?

But it turned out that McGonagall was already there. When Harry and Ron skidded into the class, both panting heavily Ron said in a relieved voice. "Made it. Can you imagine the look on old McGonagall's face if we were late?"

But then the cat on the desk pounced right off it, but before it could hit the ground, it transformed into Professor McGonagall.

Ron was in awe. "That was bloody brilliant!"

"Thank you for that assessment Mr Weasley," McGonagall said, though Rosalyn could tell she wasn't impressed. "Though perhaps I should turn either yourself or Mr Potter here into a pocket watch? That way one of you, or preferably both, would be on time."

"W- we got lost," Harry stuttered. Rosie sniggered but disguised it well.

"Then perhaps a map?" McGonagall suggested sardonically. "Hopefully you don't need one to find your seats?"

Harry and Ron awkwardly sat down at the desk behind Hermione and Rosalyn and McGonagall explained today's lesson.

"Welcome to Transfiguration. It is a form of magic that, obviously, consists of turning an object into another object. This year, that is what we will do, and, hopefully, master. Today we will be changing matches into needles, but before we do that..."

They were given loads of notes to write down and Rosalyn was baffled by what half of them meant. Hermione was probably the only one who had all the notes down, though Rosalyn tried her best.

Finally, they were all given a match. The instructions were, as they had all heard, to turn it into a needle. By the end of the very long lesson, Hermione's match had been transfigured into a proper needle, and the top of Rosalyn's had turned into a silver point, but the bottom was still wooden. No one else had made any difference.

After that they had potions. On the way there, Ron and Rosalyn informed Harry all they had ever been told about Professor Snape.

"He's head of Slytherin house," Rosalyn explained to her twin, slotting herself in between Harry and Ron whilst they were walking to the dungeons.

"They say he favours them. Wish McGonagall favoured us," Ron said bitterly.

When they got to the dungeon they shivered, it was really cold down there. They went into the classroom and sat down, this time Rosalyn sat herself between Harry and Hermione. That was when Snape burst into the classroom.

"There will be no foolish wand waving, or silly incantations in this class," he looked around at all the students as he reached the top of the room. "As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. However, the select few who possess the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses, I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death."

Rosalyn and Harry were both copying this down as Snape spoke again.

"Then again, maybe some of you have come
to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel like you can just not pay attention." He said sharply.

He looked at Harry when he said this, though Rosalyn was writing too. And he spoke to Harry alone.

"Mr Potter, our new celebrity."

Rosalyn and Harry narrowed their eyes slightly before Snape continued, asking Harry a question.

"Tell me what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

Hermione stuck her hand up in the air but Snape ignored her. "You don't know? Well let's try again. Where would you look if I asked you to find a bezoar?"

Rosalyn and Hermione both had their hands up now, Rosalyn only put hers up to try and save Harry, but Snape took no interest.

"No? Then answer this. What is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?"

"I- I don't know sir, but I think Hermione does, or maybe Rosalyn, why don't you ask them?" This got a few laughs, Rosalyn pursed her lips, too angry to laugh.

Snape spat out, "put your hand down," at Hermione, and then he turned to Harry. "Pity, clearly fame... isn't... everything."

Harry narrowed his eyes at Snape. He didn't want to say anything else, but Rosalyn did.

"What year do you normally give those questions to? Fifth? Sixth?" She said, angrily. Snape turned round.

"Is that any of your business, Miss Potter?"

"Would you expect any of us to be able to answer this questions? This is our first lesson, for Godric's sake!" Rosalyn snarled, standing up out of her seat. Harry and Hermione both tugged at her robes, telling her to sit down but she ignored them.

"Sit. Down. Now." Snape said, staring the girl in the eye, that set him off, he had thought Rosalyn was the spitting image of her mother, but then he saw her eyes, his eyes. James'. Rosalyn meanwhile, didn't want to sit down, but she suddenly felt herself getting moved against her will back into her seat.

She spent the rest of potions glaring at Snape and making sure she did the best she could at his lesson. When the bell finally went, she and Hermione practically ran out of the classroom. They needed to escape the dungeons.

At lunch, Seamus was saying an incantation and pointing his wand at his goblet.

"Eye of rabbit, harpstring hum, turn this water, into rum!"

He was saying it again and again and Rosalyn heard her twin ask Ron. "What's Seamus trying to do to that water?"

Rosalyn rolled her eyes. Didn't he hear the incantation? Ron, however, didn't seem to get the stupidity in the question, and answered. "Turn it to rum, actually managed weak tea yesterday, before it-"

BOOM!

Hermione and Rosalyn jumped as they saw Seamus's goblet smoking and his hair up on its end. His eyes were wide.

Suddenly, the laughs were interrupted by loud squawks of-

"Owls!" Ron said, "The mail's here!"

The owls swooped low, delivering parcels and packages alike. Rosalyn didn't see Ruby among them but Ron got a letter and a rolled up Daily Prophet. Harry asked if he could borrow it. Ron shrugged.

Neville was still quite nervous around Rosalyn, but had found some courage to sit near Rosalyn and her friends as he received a package as well. He opened it and took out a round glass sphere with smoke inside it.

Dean Thomas, a boy Rosalyn recognised front he sorting said. "Neville's got a rememberall!"

Hermione spoke up. "I've read about those, when the smoke turns red, it means you've forgotten something."

Just then, the smoke did turn red, Neville looked up wig a slightly flushed face and said, "but I can't remember what I forgot."

Rosalyn then heard a much more interesting conversation.

"Ron, Rosalyn," Harry was reading the prophet, and he continued, "Someone broke into Gringotts, listen. 'Believed to be the work of dark wizards or witches. The goblins of Gringotts are acknowledging the break in and security breach and insist nothing was taken, the vault in question, number 713, had actually been emptied that very same day'. That's odd, that's the vault Hagrid and I went to, when we went to Diagon Alley."

He looked at Ron, who was shrugging, Rosalyn, who was reading the rest of the article and at Hermione, who was narrowing her eyes.

What was in the vault?