Chapter 7

I stared at Mrs.Scatt. I was speechless. I couldn't believe she heard me. I couldn't think of any possible excuse because I didn't know how much she heard. So I'm gonna have to go with plan B.

Tell her the truth...

I never told anyone before about this, except my family of course. But outside my family, only necessary people, like doctors or my school nurses knew. But I guess there's a first time for everything, right? In these past few hour I grew very close to Mrs.Scatt. I felt as if I knew her for a life time. She is so incredibly nice and loving, I guess I could tell her. Maybe it will make me feel better?

"Um..." I didn't know where to start. I just started to tear up. Great, now I'm going to cry infront of two people.

Mrs.Scatt saw that I was about to cry and ran over to me, enveloping me into a warming hug. I lost it. I started to cry into her shoulder. She rubbed my back in a soothing manner.

"Shhhh, honey don't cry." She said, and started to slowly rock back and forth. I felt myself starting to calm down. She noted to and pulled away from our hug.

"Can you please tell me whats going on?" She asked, and with a deep breath, I started.

"I was diagnosed when I was 13, My doctor didn't think it was very serious, but serious enough to pull me out of school for 4 months. She started to treat me and we were all thinking it was working... But little did we know it wasn't-" My voice cracked at the end and I took a deep breath before continuing, "So when I turned 16, one day my doctor told me that the treatment they gave me wasn't working, so they would have to give me another or else I would die." I sniffed a little and saw Mrs.Scatts eyes get watery. " She said that its gotten more serious than they thought. But after that day, I realized that I really had nothing to live for, so why waste so much money and time for nothing?" Now I tear fell from Mrs.Scatts eyes. I hated making people cry. "I've never been really close to my mom, even though we always act like we are, we really aren't, and I know this is horrible to say, but I wouldn't really miss her. I barely see my brother and i never met my dad, so whats the harm? But now that I know what a relationship would--does feel like, I don't really want to die. I want a future. So I called my doctor and told her that I wanted treatment and as long as I don't get any head injuries, I'm 100% guaranteed to live." I said smiling though my tears. She smiled also and laughed in relief. She wiped her eyes and laughed again at herself. "Just please promise me something?" I asked her. She nodded grinning.

"Anything."

"Don't tell Ben ok?" I asked. She smile faded a little. But she quickly understood my point of view and nodded.

"Don't tell me what?" Ben asked walking in. When he saw us he stopped in his tracks. "Whoa, who died?" He joked. I laughed nervously. "Seriously what happen?" He asked. Mrs.Scatt looked at me and I nodded slightly to her, pleading her to not say anything to Ben about this.

"Oh nothing, we were just talking about a really sad book that we read." She lied and I relaxed a little. Ben started to laugh and shook his head.

"Girls." He said and rolled his eyes. "Well I'm gonna take Soph home, kay?" I nodded and when he was gone, I leaned into Mrs.Scatt so he couldn't hear me.

"Thank you" I whispered and hugged her. She kissed my head.

"Any time honey, but I really think you wouldn't do the wrong thing by telling him?" She asked. I nodded and pulled away.

"Maybe." I answered and got up to quickly change into my clothes and wash my face so I look a little presentable. When I was ready, I walked down the stairs. Ben was sitting on the couch, playng with Teddy. When he spotted me, he got up.