Vol 1 Chapter 4.1

Start from the beginning

She's a cute one, probably just my pony tail fetish though. She does have this hard to approach air around her about her that's not really indicative of a beginner in love. She's likely the type to date an ikemen just like Hirata in middle school, gals these days are a sad sight.

"I know what you're thinking and it's disrespectful." Horikita somehow saw right through me and read my mind. Are all girls like this?

Horikita is beautiful and all, but if I asked her out let alone out of the blue, my face would probably be as flat as a pancake by the time she's done. How does one even become a couple just three weeks after the entrance ceremony? It's hard enough making friends.

In the midst of all this, I shoot Masaki a text to ask if she wanted to join us. As expected she says "Yes of course."

I won't push be her wishes but sometimes they're a bit...umm demanding?

If I were to have a girlfriend....someone who's supportive would fit that bill immediately. Elegant, understanding, that's what I want and sure there's plenty of those kinds of girls in the world but most of them are pretty plain. What I'm looking for is a golden gem, one that shines brighter than any other.

Will I find someone like that one day and call them my lover?

°°°

History class, third period. Chabashira-sensei's class. She walks in as the bell signals the start of class. She scans the quiet room with a stern look before smirking, she seems satisfied with whatever result.

"Everyone is here - well listen up because today's class is serious."

"What do you mean, Sae-chan-sensei~?" Somehow the students already gave her a nickname, and honestly it's shitty. Instead of putting the -chan part in there they should have gone with Sae-sensei. That rolls better on the tongue.

"It's the end of the month, we will have a short test. Take these and pass them to the back."

She hands out papers to the first row. Eventually,the test papers reach my desk. Just by scanning it you can tell it covers the five major topics in society, all of which has several questions.

"This is only reference for the future so it will not be reflected on your report card, be at ease. Naturally cheating is prohibited." None of us saw this coming, however they listened in class as far as I know so my peers shouldn't do bad in this test.

Her phrasing is suspicious, normally these type of tests would reflect our reports cards but they way she words it is slightly different. She's I'm implying this test will be reported some other way.

I might just be paranoid but ever since she told us about the S-system, I've never felt relief.

Once the test started. I turn over the paper and scan over the questions. 20 questions, 4 per sections, each is worth 5 points which is a total of 100 points. Unfortunately, most of the questions are so extraordinarily easy it's anticlimactic.

These questions are way easier than those of the entrance exam. Everything here is middle school grade.

I say that, but the last three questions of the test can't be solved by normal means. Actually the last math problem can't be solved unless you use some complicated formulas.

"I can't believe it...I listened in class but these are too hard..."

The last three questions aren't of normal nature, they're not first year high school level. I won't be surprised if they were out there by mistake, some of students are already crumbling trying to solve this apperantly.

Why are they trying to evaluate our abilities with a treat like this? It's insanely unbalanced....

No matter, I'll just have to solve them the same way I did with the entrance exam.

Once I finish, I take a glance around the class. Chabashira-sensei seems to be monitoring everyone as she walks around the classroom. Horikita is steadily filling out the questions and she seems just about done, she might even get perfect marks.

Eventually I catch Chabashira-sensei's eye, she sends a smirk in my direction as I tilt my head at her. Is she...trying to imply something here?

I scan the questions once more, but nothing comes to mind, at least not yet.

Just when I finished checking my answers, the final bell rings indicating the end of class.

But that look she gave me earlier...I wonder what is it she tried to tell me?