Thirty-Two

32

"Jake!" She jumps up and runs over to him, wrapping her arms around his neck. His arms engulfed her waist picking her up and pressing her body tight to his. His lips capture hers in a desperate, needy kiss. Her fingers tangle into his messy hair as she tugs him closer to her, feeling like it won't be close enough.

"Are you okay? Are you feeling alright? Shit, babe, you scared me so bad." He kisses her again with just as much need as the last.

"I'm fine, just had a moment. I felt so helpless, Jake, I don't like that." She pulls him closer, needing to feel him against her.

"I know, Em, I know. I'm sorry this happened tonight. If I ever find out who is responsible for this..."

"Tom." She whispers.

"What?" His jaw clenches.

"Tom was here. He said he told them about your dad." She whispers. "Your mom lost her mind."

"I bet she did." He hangs his head pressing his forehead against hers. "I heard you were giving them a hard time." Emma turns her head blushing deeply, making him chuckle. "That's my girl." He pulls her closer, if that is even possible.

"We have to get you out of here, Jake. I can't be without you. Not even for one night. I haven't spent a night alone in months, I'm not sure I can." She sighs rubbing her head against his.

"Everything will be okay, Em. I promise. You are strong, stronger than you give yourself credit for." He kisses her forehead.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She asks out of the blue, making him jerk back.

"What?" His brows scrunch.

"About my dad." She sighs, her chest feeling tight.

He lets out a deep breath. "It wasn't my place to tell you, babe. I felt like it was for your dad to tell you, I told you my part." He sighs and lets his shoulders fall forward. "Maybe I should have told you, but I thought he would."

"I wish you would have. I had to hear from Tom, but I understand why you didn't." She steps back but presses a kiss on his cheek. "When did you figure it out?" She asks, feeling a little nervous.

"I started to figure it out at the lake on the dock."

"Our first date?"

"Yeah. I mean, I knew your last name already, but I didn't think about it until you told me your dad was a DA. But I didn't know for sure until I met him." She nods, feeling at ease that he didn't know before they started dating.

"Babe, I didn't date you because of who your dad was." She shoots her eyes up at him. He grins at her. "I know you pretty well, Em. I knew where your mind went. I have loved you from the first time I saw you walking into school looking all shy and trying so hard to keep to yourself."

"And you would not allow that." She giggles.

"No, I wasn't, because I had to know you. I had to get to know you." He takes a step toward her wrapping his arms around her waist. "I had to know who this elusive, shy, Green Day loving, beauty was." She giggles, pressing her head against his chest.

"You were very persistent."

"I want what I want. And I wanted you." He kisses her deeply before there is a knock on the door and Matt walks back in.