Five

5

Jake's heart hammered in his chest as he ran down the steps two at a time making it to the bottom just in time to catch Emma's small body before she fell to the hard floor. Her breath comes short and labored, making him panic. He scoops her up in his arms and carries her back out into the hall, her body still shaking with coughs. He rushes her to the office and pushes them into the nurse's office.

The nurse startles when Jake throws the door open with Emma still in his arms. "What happened?" She asks jumping up to run over to him.

"She won't stop coughing and she can't breathe." Jake puts her on the table as she slowly starts to calm her breath.

"Out." The nurse orders.

"But..."

"I said, out, Mr. Avert." She pushes him out the door before closing it in his face. He collapses onto the floor with his elbows on his knees running his hands through his hair, thinking of how this is all his fault.

He stays there until the door opens again, and small feet appear in his view. He jerks his head up to see Emma standing above him. "Emma." He breathes out, relieved that she's okay.

"What are you doing?" She asks him, looking confused.

"I was worried." He says scrambling to his feet. "Are you okay?" He grabs her face to look closely.

"I'm fine, just don't react well to the smell of smoke." She glares at him, making him look away.

"I'm so sorry." He says lowering his hands, but she grabs them in her small ones.

"It's okay, you didn't know." She smiles at him. "You're lucky though." She says walking to the door pulling him behind her.

"Why?" He asks worriedly.

"I told the nurse you were behind me when we walked in so we don't know who was smoking in the stairwell." She shoots him a frown over her shoulder making him look at the floor.

"Thank you." He whispers, feeling guilty.

"You shouldn't do that, you know." She looks forward again.

"I know, it was a terrible night and then, well, you were here so.."

She stopped walking, making him almost knock her over when he slams into her back. "I wasn't here? What did that have to do with anything?" She asks whipping around to look at him, prompting her hair to fall into her face and over her shoulders.

He scratches his neck looking down at the floor. "Yeah, I kinda, um..." He glances up at her quickly before looking away again. "I just wanted to see you this morning, and you weren't here." She bites on her lip, unsure of what to say. Deciding not to say anything she leans on her toes and kisses his cheek quickly before turning and walking away hurriedly leaving him standing in the middle of the hall with a wide grin.

Emma sits in her last class, biology, eager to leave. The teacher walks around the room before going back to the front. "Today we will pair off into your lab partners. These will be your partners for the rest of the year." Emma sinks into her seat feeling uncomfortable at having to work with someone.

"Emma." a voice says behind her making her turn and looking to find Spencer smiling at her patting the empty seat next to him. "Come on, you can be my partner." Reluctantly she stands and walks back to sit next to him.