Two

2

Jake steps off the bus and starts walking up the drive to his mom's small home. At the last second, he turns only to find Emma watching him. When his eyes meet hers, she turns her head away, but not before he sees the pink fill her cheeks, causing him to chuckle. He turns and continues up the drive.

"Why are you walking? What the hell'd you do to your damn car?" His step dad asks, rubbing his hands with a grease rag.

"Nothing, a friend is going to come get me and take me back to school to get it." Jake rolls his eyes.

"Why didn't you just drive it home?" He asks, sceptically.

"Had to talk to a classmate." Jake shrugs past him, only for him to grab his arm tight.

"I expect you to work in the garage tonight." He says squeezing tighter.

"Yeah, whatever." He groans before pulling his arm loose.

"Seven o'clock, Jake." He yells before Jake slams the door.

"Jake?" His mom asks, confused. "I didn't hear you pull up, honey." She smiles and pulls him into a hug.

"Yeah, I rode the bus." His mom laughs.

"The bus? You hate the bus. Why would you ride it?"

"Had to talk to a classmate on the way back." He shrugs.

"A girl." His mom's giggle.

"Mom." He groans.

"So it is a girl! What's her name?"

"I'm not talking about this with you, mom." He moans as the door opens and in walks Spencer, Jake's best friend.

"Hey, mom!" He yells before kissing her cheek.

"Hi, sweety, hungry?" She asks with a warm smile.

"You didn't ask me if I was hungry." Jake fusses.

"She likes me more, duh." Spencer says with a grin.

"I was too busy asking you about this girl. You wouldn't tell me, so now I'm going to ask Spenc." His mom waves him off.

"No, you're not." Jake says, frustrated.

"Girl? This is the first I heard of this, it seems he's keeping secrets from both of us." Spencer grins.

"Let's just go." Jake says walking to the door after giving his mother a kiss.

Late that night, Emma feels drained, but she sits on the tall stool in their kitchen fixing a snack.

"Hey, baby." She looks up as her dad walks in the door and plants a kiss on the top of her head.

"Hey, dad, we put your dinner in the oven to keep it warm." She nods to the oven.

"What did we get today?" He says, eyeing the wrapped-up food.

"Mom wanted Italian." Emma sighs.

"Couldn't eat?" He asks looking back at his daughter.

"Can I ever?" She shrugs. Sadness fills her fathers eyes as he looks down at his daughter.

"Where is your mother?" He asks, looking around.

"She went to lie down," Emma says, taking out her vape pen and taking a long hit from it.

"I'll go check on her. Warm my food up for me?" She nods before turning the oven on and taking a small bite of her sandwich. He leaves the kitchen and walks up the steps. Not long later, she hears their voices rise. Not wanting to hear it, she makes sure the food is okay and goes out the front door to sit on the steps to finish her sandwich.