Four

4

The next day was mostly the same as the day before. Jake met her at the car, walked her to her classes, and sat next to her at lunch. His presence was growing on her and she became more comfortable, not just around Jake, but his friends as well.

Ava had to leave school early, so she stood in line waiting for the bus but was quickly snatched away by Jake.

"Come on, I'll take you home." He smiles at her as he takes her bag.

"You-you don't have to." Emma stuttered as she ran after him.

"I know, I want to." He opens his door to let her in. After a moment of hesitation, she finally slides into the passenger seat before he closes the door and runs around to the driver's seat. "You wanna stop for ice cream or something?" He asks, closing the door.

"Oh, ice cream sounds amazing, but I have to get home. I have to be somewhere today." Emma says sadly.

"It will be quick, just up the road. We can even get it to go if you need to." Emma bites down on her lip before finally smiling and nodding her head.

"Yeah, but I have to be home quickly." Jake grins and pulls out of the parking lot. He wasn't kidding when he said it was close by. He orders quickly from the drive-through before heading off toward her house.

"How do you know where I live?" She eyes him suspiciously.

"I don't know exactly, just the general area." He grins. They fall back into silence as they both drink their milkshakes. She gives him step-by-step directions before pulling up to the gate.

"I have never been here before. I mean, I've driven by but never actually been here." Jake looks up at the tall gate.

"I'd like to invite you in but-"

"Oh no, it's okay. I know you're in a hurry." He smiles at her.

"Yeah, sorry." She looks down at her hands.

"Don't be sorry, Em. You have plans. I get it." He cups her chin to make her lookup.

Biting on her lip, and looks into his deep green eyes and wishes she didn't have to go. "Thanks for the ride, and the milkshake." She blushes.

"Anytime." He smiles.

"Well, I'll see ya tomorrow." She smiles again, grabbing her stuff and jumping from the car to run to the gate.

Jake watched as she ran to the gate and punched in a code before disappearing behind it. He wanted to run after her, but he fought himself to stay in the car before pulling back out onto the road.

Still, with a smile on his face, he pulls into the driveway of his mom's small house.

"Jake!" He gets out of the car and his smile instantly falls.

"What, Tom?" He asks his step-dad.

"You're working tomorrow night and Saturday." He says.

"I'll work tomorrow but I'm busy Saturday." Jake grabs his bag and goes to walk past him.

"What did you say to me? I said you're working."

"And I said I'll work tomorrow but I'm not working Saturday." Tom grabs his arm and pulls him to a stop.

"If you want to stay in this house, you will work when I say you work."

"It's not like you pay me!" Jake pulls his arm free.