Twenty-Three

23

Emma stands in the den watching the slowly growing group of people, way more than their close group of friends. More and more people flow through the door sending her anxiety into overdrive. She takes a few large hits off her vape as one set of guys brings in a ceg while another group has a case of beer, then a group comes in carrying a crate of liquor. Where they even got it is beyond her. Much less, how they even got into the gate without the code.

"Spencer! This is way more than our friends." she throws a glare at him as she stomps into the kitchen where even more people stand around the island. "How did all of these people even get in? There is a gate with a code!"

"Sorry, Em, word got around pretty quickly." he shrugs but the guild shines through his eyes.

"We do have security in this neighborhood. They could show up at any second." Emma glances around the many faces, many she doesn't even know.

"Jake, help your girl calm down, will ya?" Spencer says as Jake's arms snake around her waist, pulling her against his chest.

"She's right, man. I like a good party as much as the next guy but this has gotten out of hand." He places a soft kiss on her temple to try to soothe her.

A crash sounds from the living room making Emma grunt. "Sorry, ass son of a bitch! If you broke something expensive, I'm taking it from your skin!" she yells with her face red stomping into the living room.

"Did she just cuss? Twice?" Spencer asks with his mouth hanging open.

"Time to get some of these people out of here, Spenc." Jake grins at Emma's back but shakes his head at his friend.

"Relax, my man, you used to be just as wild as us. Has this girl really calmed you down that much?" he asks with his brows drawn together, Jake simply shrugs his shoulder with a grin.

"They broke the damn lamp! Do you have any idea how much that shit cost?!" Emma shouts, barreling back into the kitchen, slamming the broken pieces into the trash, cutting her hand in the process. She hisses as blood pools in her palm.

"Spec will pay for it, Em, don't worry about it." He cuts his eyes at his friend who stares at him like he has lost his mind. Jake takes her hand in his, looking at the cut. "Come on." He tugs her behind him going to her room to clean the blood from her hand.

Inside her room, Jake places her on the bed before going to the bathroom and coming back a few moments later with a First Aid Kit. He gets down on his knees in front of her taking her hand in his.

"Sorry." He says before even touching her but as soon as he does her skin starts to sting but she has no reaction. He looks up at her confused for a moment.

"With everything I have been through, Jake, that doesn't hurt." She half laughs.

"Right, I guess I should have thought of that," he says looking a little embarrassed. His hair falls into his eyes but he does not make a move to brush it back.

Emma uses her free hand to brush his hair back bringing his eyes back to hers. "I like that you don't think of it. I love that you see me as just a normal girl, not a poor sick little girl."

Jake lowers himself between her knees. "You are anything but 'poor' and 'weak', Em. I could never see you as anything other than the beautiful Goddess that you are." he runs his hands over her face before pulling her down to his lips brushing them with a much too fast, feather-light kiss.