14 | Blessed Sun Sinks Beyond The Horizon | 8 Years Old

Is it necesary for the title to be that long? Maybe. Maybe not. But, poetry, and...meaning. Also, I gotta say, my writing is so much better now. My goal has always been at least a thousand words per chapter. But now, most of my chapters are well over 1000 words. I'm getting better. Anyway, it's September of 1892. Ray is 24 now. That's the age of Max Casella when he was in Newsies! I think the rest of the newsie ages are the same. Just...add 5 months haha. Unfortunately, this is another heavy chapter. But it's not all bad. There are some good moments. Enjoy! :)

As Antonio sleeps in the night, some of the newsies talk.

"Can you believe that Antonio's been here for over seven years now?" Jack asks.

"He's grown so much," Crutchy says.

"But he's still so young," Mush adds.

"And he's grown up different than us," Louis reminds them. "It's been interesting."

"But still a joy," Ray tells them. 

They all look at him. "Of course."

"Why didn't you leave when you were 21, Ray?" Jack asks. "You're 24 now. Normally newsies leave at age 21."

"That is true," Ray agrees. "But I decided to stay."

"But why?" Mush asks him.

"For one, I like all of you too much to leave," Ray tells them. 

That gets all of them to go "awww!" in response. 

Ray continues, "I need to stay for Antonio." Then, quieter, but all can still hear, "I promised Theo."

All go silent for a few moments. When Ray says Theo instead of Stargazer, or just brings up Stargazer at all, they know he's been thinking about him, and how he never really got to say goodbye. They all try to be there for him through the grief.

Ray shakes his head to clear it. "Antonio needs me."

"He captures people, doesn't he? He really is special," Mush comments. They all know this to be true. There's something about Antonio that they just can't put their finger on. True, he's different. Sometimes, they really don't get him. But it's interesting to see the way his mind works. They can deny it all they want, but they're intrigued by him. And of course, they all love him like he was their own real brother.

"You still could have left," Jack turns back to Ray.

"I could have, but where would I have gone? Those factories? I knew at 21 I'd rather stay a newsie than go there. I'm going to save up, big. And I still stand by the decision that I'll stay a newsie until I'm thirty if need be."

"I won't," Jack announces. "When I get enough money, I'm out of here."

"But where will you go?" Crutchy asks curiously. Just like how Louis and Mush are close, Jack and Crutchy have a strong brotherly bond. So naturally, he'd be interested in what Jack wants to do.

Jack thinks about it. He actually doesn't know.

Then, he has a memory from recently.

As Jack was out selling newspapers, he stepped on something. He stopped, and looked down, curious. It was a dime novel. He bent down to get it, wiped off the dirt, and read the bold letters SANTA FE and looked at the cowboy underneath it. Interested, he opened it up and scanned the pages. He knew he was going to look at it later. But, since he had to continue selling, he just stuffed it in his pocket and continued walking.