42 | Perfect Together | August 15, 1899

It doesn't start off as August 15th, but it gets there pretty soon. This is a really soft chapter. Enjoy! :)

Race has no clue what he should get Spot for his birthday.

The problem is, is that it can't be just anything. Not only is it going to be a birthday present, it's also going to be a present thanking Spot for getting Race a permanent box at Sheepshead Races. That must have cost a fortune. He hasn't yet gotten any numbers or costs out of Spot, though. He has no clue if he ever will. But he's going to enjoy this box if it's the last thing he does. He has to. For Spot. It's the least he can do.

And he'll enjoy it because it is freaking awesome that he has his own permanent box at Sheepshead Races and he's still a broke teenager that sells newspapers for a living. Not many people can flaunt that!

Today he gets off the back of a carriage a little before reaching the Brooklyn Bridge.

Right before he goes to cross the Bridge, he passes by a little shop where something catches his eye. He stops walking in his usual direction and starts walking in the direction that he's looking at.

He looks at that glimmering something on the other side of the window.

That's gotta cost a lot.

Good thing Race has been saving up.

He's going to come back for that.

But for now, he's going to sell papers and win bets to have enough to buy it.

Jack eats dinner with David and his family tonight. They love having him over, and he loves going there. He loves how well he's been accepted into their family.

Now, after finishing their meal, Jack and David go up on the roof, just them alone, talking. 

"I'm really glad you didn't go to Santa Fe," David tells Jack.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. Because then I never would have seen you again, and I wouldn't like that one bit."

"Well I'm glad I stayed, too."

After a few beats, David asks curiously, "What did make you decide to come back? You could have been well on the train to Santa Fe when instead you came back to us."

You.

To put it simply, at least.

But it's much more complicated than that.

"Well..." Jack tries to find a good place to start. "As we left, I watched everything I've ever known grow smaller and smaller, shrinking into the distance. And when I couldn't see it no more, I missed it. Mostly, I missed the people in it. Crutchy, Race, Blink, Mush..." He pauses. "You."

David blushes a little. "Glad that I'm as important to you as your other friends."

"Oh, Davey." Jack moves in closer. "You mean so, so much to me."

This time, David starts the kiss first.

It's sweet and soft and gentle. Everything they need.

When they break away, their foreheads are pressed together.